1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restting the volume on hd5

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by myepitome, Jun 7, 2005.

1. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyway to put the EU volume thingy back on because I jsut want to see whether the sound is better with it on

Yes, a bizarre thingy to be asking!

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Go into the service menu, and switch it back on!

3. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tried that, it didn't want to switch from off to back on!

Edit - figured it out!had to press menu instead of play or one of the arrow buttons

4. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound won't be better, myepitome. See all the players Sony churn out for all the different parts of the world are the same. However in Japan and the US you buy your player with the Sound Pressure set to Off and in the EU and other parts of the world that have restrictions on the volume the Sound Pressure is set to On - it is a much cheaper way to deal with obstructive legislation like that than to create a player for each region... :) Instead you should fiddle with your equalizers if the sound is dodgy... :)

5. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have everything in mp3, so those equalizers are pretty useless....

Also, if I do convert into atrac would it remove any background noise from some songs?

6. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is so cheeky of Sony, isn't it? After mounting pressure they finally make their players so that they can handle native mp3s - but then you can't play them back on SonicStage directly from your player (Atrac3 you can) and the equalizers are useless - therefor once again making you use the atrac format if you want full functionality from your player.

I do think Atrac is a really good compression format - it is just a pain in the neck to have to convert a few thousand tracks to it if each one takes 20seconds - hmmm let's do a calculation - let's say you take 1,500 tracks, each one taking 20 secs that is over 8 and a half hours!!! Nasty!!

7. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think i can be bothered lol!

8. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have all of my music (about 2500 tracks) in mp3 192kbs so I connected my HD5 and left it to convert to attrac 132kbs; took about 5 hours and I saved about 3Gb of space; no effort involved.
    To me I can't tell the difference in sound between the two formats even when connected to my Hi-Fi, but as it is only for listening to with headphones, I am very happy. I don't use the EQ at the moment, but I do have the option.
    It is very naughty of Sony to exclude mp3 files from the EQ.

Ken