Restoring Programs After Reinstall

okpal79

Standard Member
Hi,

I've had to reinstall Vista on my pc for the 4th time since January and I'm wondering if anyone can help.

After the reinstall of Vista I have to then sit and reinstall all of my programs one by one and it's really annoying.

Is there any way I can make a backup of the system / programs installed so I don't have to go through this again.

I'm sure I've heard that somehow you can make a backup of the programs & settings on your pc to disc then reinstall from there.

Any help would be appreciated.

:lease:

Boon72

i use Ghost to image my PC twice a week so if anythin should happen i can quickly go back, i also have a fresh install and set up image if i want to go back to the start (fresh install with drivers and essential apps)

Repton

Novice Member
I'm the opposite, I like to sit through hours of re-installing programs after a fresh install. The pros are:-

1. You're getting the latest drivers, game patches or versions off the net.
2. You may want to do things differently this time round.
3. You realise that past programs that you've hardly used were not required anymore and discover new stuff.

cons:

1. It's long, it could take hours.:D

echrada

Banned
I'm the opposite, I like to sit through hours of re-installing programs after a fresh install. The pros are:-

1. You're getting the latest drivers, game patches or versions off the net.
2. You may want to do things differently this time round.
3. You realise that past programs that you've hardly used were not required anymore and discover new stuff.

cons:

1. It's long, it could take hours.:D
Ditto :D:rotfl: it's great to do isn't it!!!

ntm1275

Novice Member
I do the same as boon72

I keep several copies of a Ghost image on a second hard drive

1. Clean Vista SP1 install

2. Clean Vista SP1 install with common programs installed (Office, Nero etc)

3. As No2, but with current updates etc installed

4. Every month I reimage back to No3 and install new updates,

No 4 then becomes No3 when completed, so I always have a nearly up to date image

It takes about 15 minutes to make an image, and about 12 minutes to apply an unattended new image, which is much faster than taking hours and hours reinstalling everything from scratch

I do this because I'm always trying out/testing different software, so I like to to go back to a clean working copy of Vista without any of the tested software installed

Singh400

Distinguished Member
I agree with morili hochili & Repton I prefer to sit through hours of re-installing for some reason. Just find it "cleaner". If you know what I mean.

The best way would to be keep an up to date Ghost Image much like ntm1275 described.

okpal79

Standard Member
Thanks for all your responses.

I suppose what I'm actually after is a recovery disc creator program that can take a disc image and then I can reinstall from that.

I've had a look at Norton Ghost and;
a) I don't really like Norton
b) Even if I did I'd hate to pay £39.99 for the program

My Pc is an Acer, is there a recovery disc creator program available? or..

(and this may be a stupid question)

Could I use a different companies program ie: Toshiba?

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I don't think you should (or would be able) to use a Toshiba restore disc in your Acer. In anycase that would just reset the laptop to 'as delivered' condition, ie before you'd installed your programs and settings.

I've used various versions of Norton Ghost through work and now at home. I don't particularly like Norton Anti Virus software personnally, but as Ghost does what I want, then I can't see why not to use it, apart from trying to get a cheaper version/make. As your PC is Vista, I guess you'll need the latest version, but that's probably the case for all your software (still using XP with a Vista 'skin' myself).

I install XP SP2, then all the latest drivers for my PC and create a Ghost image that is compressed, then put it in a folder with a suitable name like 'XP SP2' and put a Notepad (not word incase I need to read it from this image, pre installing Office) that has notes telling what versions of drivers etc are installed. I repeat this after certain stages of software installation, after a clean up and defragement (as Ghost 'saves' the disc image including the position of the files and if they are fragmented or not).

From this point I can then install trial software for example, that might expire after two weeks. I can then 'wipe' the PC and go back to before I installed the trial software and reinstall and carry on using it for another two weeks. ;) It also allows me to try settings and new drivers, updates etc safe in the knowledge that I can return to a perfect 'clean' install in a matter of minutes. It does help if you have a separate hard disc to put the image onto, but with a laptop, you'll have to use an external drive (or partition the existing internal one, though that is a very slow way to do it).

I figure with all the above perks, then £40 or so is worth it...but YMMV I guess. But if it helps I found it slightly cheaper:

Norton Ghost - ( v. 14.0 ) - complete package - 1 user - CD - Win - International - Ebuyer

AV_Fodder

Novice Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom