• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Restoring Openelec from a backup

Keiron

Prominent Member
So I have an NUC running Openelec. Works great.

I've bought another NUC, exactly the same, and put it in another room. Successfully installed Openelec (after much hair pulling!)

What I want to do is create an exact copy on the new NUC.

I have tried the Backup feature within Kodi, making a backup of Kodi from NUC 1 then restoring using that backup on NUC 2. But it only copies certain features (my libraries) - no addons, no menus etc. This is even though I have checked ALL the boxes on the Backup configuration to ensure everything is backed up.

Research shows there is a facility within Openelec itself to create a backup (a "tar" file). I've done this too, copying to a USB and then restoring NUC 2 using that file but get exactly the same results.

Anyone have any suggestions? Most online tutorials relate to simply doing the backup, rather than the restoring!

bubblegum57

Prominent Member
I have 2 usb devices "on the go" I use Clonezilla, to copy/clone them. So, when I mess up one, I have a fairly recent usb device that I can use. Bear in mind, you won't be able to clone, from a larger partition to a smaller one, so it's probably best to get two the same size.

Actually, that reminds me, I need to clone my other usb.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom