1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ressurecting damaged cones

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tuttonp, Jan 21, 2003.

1. tuttonp

tuttonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of possibly buying a set of Eltax Liberty speakers (Liberty 5.0), however the floorstanders mids have had the centre of the cones pushed in, as has one of the mid cones on the centre!!. Although sonically the APPEAR ok I'm not sure. Is there any way of simply getting the cones back out (vacumn??, pushing them out from behind??) or is it a case of once they're in they're in and walking away from the deal??

2. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I would give it a miss m8. Probably more trouble than it's worth.

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That said, it is actually disturbingly cheap to have entire drivers replaced in all but the most high end speakers.

You might only be looking at £15 to £25 to have brand new ones put in.

4. tuttonp

tuttonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    juboy - Thanks for that. I'm waiting on Richer Sounds giving me an idea as to what each will cost to replace.

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    There's probably nothing wrong with the drivers. A bit of suction with a vaccumm cleaner should do the job. They'll only really need replacing if the outer cone is damaged (not the central dust cap) or it is a tweeter.