• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Respraying metal garden furniture - what paint?


Prominent Member
We've got some metal garden furniture. It's getting a bit tatty, with flaking paint.

I've got some kurust to apply to the rust spots, and I'll ensure everything is cleaned and rubbed down to remove the flaking paint, but do I need any special kind of primer and top coat? Should I be looking at a brand like Plastikote or Hammerite, or will any old spray from Halfords do the trick?

(I want a matt, dark green finish.)


Distinguished Member
I think Hammerite Smooth would be best for exterior metal.

And if you have done a good job preparing I would use the aerosol rather than brush type.




Distinguished Member
Without looking close it's hard to say, but generally brush on would give a LOT thicker coat than a spray.
Myself I'd paint on Hammerite with a brush

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom