1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Response Times for JVC LTxxDS6

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by neilmcl, Aug 20, 2005.

1. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Apologies if this has already been asked but can someone tell me what are the correct response times for the 32" and 37" versions of the JVC DS6 models. I've checked the JVC UK website and they quote 7ms for the 32" but then 12ms for the 37", what is correct?

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    You wouldnt notice any difference between 7ms and 12ms anyway its not just response time that matters its the electronics inside anything under 16ms should be fine.I wouldnt worry about it they are great screens.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I realise that I just want someone to confirm what the correct times are as it seems strange that the 37" version is different from the 32".

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    How would anyone confirm it? We go by what the manufacturers provide specs-wise.
    AFAIK, no-one here works in any capacity for JVC that would have "inside" info. Accept the facts as you have them, and don't pander to the numbers game - it is fairly irrelevant on its own. The electronics that drive the panel are as much an integral part of how good a panel is as its pixel response time is. It's a case of where the sum is greater than the parts.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Look, all I'm after is what's the correct manufacturers "quoted" response times as there may be a mistake on their UK website. I'm well aware that respnse times are not the be all and end all of what makes a good LCD. If someone has the correct specs then they can confirm this. Pjskel, It may be irrelevant to you but if you don't know the answer and can't help me then there's no need to comment.

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Whoa there horsey!
    No need for the vitriolic verbal - you asked a question that if you thought about it a bit more, would be self evident. How do we here know the specs - we look on the manufacturers' website. Now, I'm not saying all manufacturers' sites are perfect, but errors that crop up are generally around connectivity, as that is what changes from continent to continent, but specs concerning the likes of brightness, contrast, pixel response, etc. will all be constant. So, if the 37" says 12ms, then it is 12ms.

If you know it's only part of the story, then why fixate on it?

If you really must know, then phone JVC UK - but I'll almost guarantee whomever you speak with will check the website (using their intranet).

Like I said above, how would we confirm it? We go by what info is supplied - and what if the website is correct, but there's been a mistake made in the owners manual, which figure do we take as the gospel?

Understand now why I said what I did? It wasn't done so as to elicit a flaming session.

7. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could the response times not vary from the 32" to the 37"? I got the manual out and it covers the 26 & 32inch models, not the 37... which says to me they are more different than it appears?

8. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    mmm the us 37" version is quoted as 15ms response time

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    How difficult is it to get a straight answer to a simple straight question. I was trying to asscertain whether the UK website has the wrong figures, which as you say is not unheard of. I was hoping that someone, possibly owners of this set, would have other material that would show this information whether it be a technical spec, manual, brochure or press release.

How does asking a simple question make me fixated.

I fully intend to ask JVC, in fact I sent them an email yesterday but I was just hoping that the helpful people on this forum might know the answer but what I wasn't expecting was to be told stop worrying about the figures and how did you put it, oh yeah "don't pander to the numbers game". If you can't be helpful then there's really no need to reply to my post.

10. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Okay, let's draw a line under this - I apologise if you mistook my initial reply as being anything other than how I intended.
    You acknowledged that "response times are not the be all and end all" - so that's why I mentioned the fixation on the numbers. After all, if the panel has 50ms response yet produces superb pictures with no trails, etc, then does it matter one iota what the pixel response is?
    So, knowing the response time shouldn't influence your decision to buy, seeing as every manufacturer quotes different numbers, based on measuring grey-grey or black-white-black as their chosen measurement.

All too often, people come on here and start asking 0-60 times equivalent questions, which tells nobody nothing other than a number followed by letters. Even the quoted contrast ratios should be taken with a pinch of salt - there are tricks manufacturers can employ to make their claims true, but irrelevent when comparing with other brands that conform to a generally accepted test which is more truthful.

Connectivity and range of adjustments to set the picture just right, should be the main concern, followed by users experience of their chosen make and model.

Really, you need to get past the numbers mentioned and see the units themselves (if you can) and use your eyes to decide which is the best for you. We all pick up on different things - some of which are liveable with for some, but not others.

11. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I will be doing exactly that I'm just asking out of curiosity why the quoted times are different for the the two displays particulalry as JVC had made such a big thing of response times < 8ms prior to launch.

Didn't mean to flame you but you know how it is when all you want is a quick answer to a simple question, I didn't want to get drawn in to an overall discussion about manufacturers claims etc regarding repsonse times. :)

12. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't sound like its the kind of question that gives a quick and simple answer :confused:

The manual has a tech spec section at the back (32") and response time is not printed, the manual is cr$p :thumbsdow

13. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I suspect that JVC have realised that the numbers game is working against them since there is mounting evidence that response times < 8ms cause problems with normal human vision. If they were quoting times that were faster than a genuine 8ms, they would either be:

1. Advertising the fact that their displays may well cause vision problems
    2. Measuring their response times in some different manner and they were not genuinely < 8ms

I suspect that it is #2 by the virtue that we would have heard by now that people were having vision issues becuase the display is genuinely < 8ms

-Ian

14. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    The 37" is definitely 12ms. The reason for this is that there is a much smaller selection of panels available at 37" than 26" or 32". 12ms was the best 37" available.

15. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    You haven't been looking hard enough ;)

16. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: