1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Response time

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Moogrose, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Moogrose

Moogrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am purchasing the LG 26LX2R next week and just got to wondering what, if any, effect the response time has on an LCD set... i believe this set has an 8ms response time? (If anyone can confirm this, i'd apreciate it). Would this be fair enough for playing Xbox/PS (On SD) and later the Xbox 360/PS3... or would i be in for some blurring?

Thanks in advance for any answers and/or advice.

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    The response time is used by manufacturers to say how long it takes for one pixel to change from one colour into another. The lower the response time, the less ghosting/blurring on screen.

In theory, anyway. On its own as a statistic, it's hard to know what they mean - for example we know nothing of what conditions the set was tested under, and also I'd imagine that the panel driver software in the set will affect this too. For example my 16ms Philips computer monitor ghosts a hell of a lot less than a recent 12ms Sony one my brother bought, and then returned for this reason.

So if you have two possible LCDs you want to buy, and you have no way of going to a store to see them in action, then don't let a 7ms Bloggotech win over a 12ms Sony.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I read a recent article that I am still strying to track down again so that I can share with your all.

Basically it stated that LCD response times < 8ms caused a problem with human vision and it actually made the picture worse. I think in the same article it stated that CRT's were about 6ms due to persistence of the phosphors.

-Ian

4. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep - apparently the manufacturers are tweaking their models to give a super low response time, but as a side effect the colours are displaying totally incorrectly.

5. Moogrose

Moogrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the informative info, much apreciated.