• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Response Time & Input Lag

The is a difference - may I ask what it is?

As several review sites talk about response times and input lag separately.

My number one use for my TV is FPS Gaming.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Lag = latency to controller input
(Panel/Pixel) Response = how long a TV takes to turn a pixel from off to on and back off again, although some manufacturers don't use that method of measurement.

High lag means gaming will feel unresponsive
High panel response time means pictures will ghost and blur.

Also, a 60Hz LED/LCD panel takes 16milliseconds to 'draw' the frame (picture) from top to bottom where plasma is near instantaneous.

Last edited:
Thanks very much

Panasonic Viera TX-L47ET50: Full Review

This ET50 has amazing response time but very poor input lag.

According to tests I have seen my Panasonic TX-L47ET5B has very good input lag (<30ms) but I cannot find information about the response time.

I feel response time is very important for drawing the picturs in gaming when panning around.

I feel both Input Lag and Responsiveness are vital for fps gaming.

Last edited:

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Thanks very much

Panasonic Viera TX-L47ET50: Full Review

This ET50 has amazing response time but very poor input lag.

According to tests I have seen my Panasonic TX-L47ET5B has very good input lag (<30ms) but I cannot find information about the response time.

I feel response time is very important for drawing the picturs in gaming when panning around.

I feel both Input Lag and Responsiveness are vital for fps gaming.

Their input lag figure for the ET50 is incorrect. We have a dedicated device that measured it at below 40 milliseconds.

Scroll to the bottom of the page, here: Panasonic ET50 (TX-L47ET50B) 3D LED LCD TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

In fact, the Et50 is one of the lowest we've measured since we've had the device. Lowest of all was the Samsung ES5500 but that has poor panel response:)

Thanks very much for some great information, shame about the Samsung panel response.

The review on the ET5B found here Panasonic ET5 (TX-L42ET5B) 3D LED LCD TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

The input lag is talked about, in a very positive way, however, no mention of panel response time which i feel is a significant factor in FPS gaming.

What do you think? and is there any way to find out the response time of this panel? or is it safe to assume the response time is good like the ET50? or, as with the input lag, is there no relevance to that comparison whatsoever?

Many many thanks.

Oh and one other thing, is for example the input lag/panel response time likely to vary between sets? for example, the L47ET5B I have now is about to be replaced due to banding (this will be my third one) I am worried I will end up with a set which has worse Input Lag/Responsiveness as the feel of this set is superb, it feels very tight, so I think I have a good one, apart from the horrid banding.

Please help :( I need a miracle.

Last edited:

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Thanks very much for some great information, shame about the Samsung panel response.

The review on the ET5B found here Panasonic ET5 (TX-L42ET5B) 3D LED LCD TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

The input lag is talked about, in a very positive way, however, no mention of panel response time which i feel is a significant factor in FPS gaming.

What do you think? and is there any way to find out the response time of this panel? or is it safe to assume the response time is good like the ET50? or, as with the input lag, is there no relevance to that comparison whatsoever?

Many many thanks.

Oh and one other thing, is for example the input lag/panel response time likely to vary between sets? for example, the L47ET5B I have now is about to be replaced due to banding (this will be my third one) I am worried I will end up with a set which has worse Input Lag/Responsiveness as the feel of this set is superb, it feels very tight, so I think I have a good one, apart from the horrid banding.

Please help :( I need a miracle.

It's an idea we could consider but we'd need a reliable method of calculating panel response. Thanks for the suggestion:)

Off the top of my head, ET50 will have better panel response than the ET5 which uses an LG panel rather than a Panasonic IPS-Alpha. If you're happy with it, that's all that counts.

Lag wont vary with any significance, TV to TV .

Lag wont vary with any significance, TV to TV .

Thanks very much mate, my I ask did you mean same model TV to same model TV?

As that was what I was trying to establish, like if I swap my 47ET5B for another 47ET5B I will still have a TV which feels like this one.. <30ms Input Lag - I am quite sensitive.

I have found it very difficult to find people with knowledge such as yours to talk to so I truly appreciate your time and help.

I phoned 6-7 Richer Sounds stores around the country before I landed one guy who just KNEW stuff.

You know how it is.

I am sorry to accost you however while i have your attention do you have any advice for me over here? http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...third-panasonic-tx-l47et5b-please-advise.html

Last edited:

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Thanks very much mate, my I ask did you mean same model TV to same model TV?

As that was what I was trying to establish, like if I swap my 47ET5B for another 47ET5B I will still have a TV which feels like this one.. <30ms Input Lag - I am quite sensitive.

I have found it very difficult to find people with knowledge such as yours to talk to so I truly appreciate your time and help.

I phoned 6-7 Richer Sounds stores around the country before I landed one guy who just KNEW stuff.

You know how it is.

I am sorry to accost you however while i have your attention do you have any advice for me over here? http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...third-panasonic-tx-l47et5b-please-advise.html

Hi

Yes, that's what I meant. One ET5 will be the same as another, provided the software versions are the same.

Sorry, LED is a lottery regarding screen uniformity. Buy enough tickets and you might win...

In an ideal world, you would buy from a retailer who is willing to unbox and let you test a product in store. Obviously this isn't always possible

Thanks a great deal mate.

Is there anything else you would recommend? with low input lag and nice panel response?

Or is this ET5B with dodgy backlight as good as I am going to get in 2012?

MAXIMUM price £1200

Must be 47+

The TX-L47ET50B has the Panasonic panel, do you think I may have more luck avoiding banding with that? It has slightly higher input lag which is a consideration however. Is the ET50 much better than the ET5? it is quite allot more expensive, but I would pay if it was worth it.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Beyond the panel response, there was little to differentiate between the two review samples from memory.

Unfortunately we didn't have the lagtest device used in the ET50 review at that time. I suspect the actual figure will be higher than the 25ms stated in the review.

Beyond the panel response, there was little to differentiate between the two review samples from memory.

Unfortunately we didn't have the lagtest device used in the ET50 review at that time. I suspect the actual figure will be higher than the 25ms stated in the review.

many thanks, so to clarify, the 25ms may not be accurate on the ET5B review, but the 39.3ms is accurate on the ET50B review?

IF I am correct, what conclusion could I draw from this if any? do you think I should get the 47ET50B instead of the ET5B ?

Many thanks.

I honestly feel like I am dancing in a minefield.

Last edited:

hodg100

Distinguished Member
many thanks, so to clarify, the 25ms may not be accurate on the ET5B review, but the 39.3ms is accurate on the ET50B review?

IF I am correct, what conclusion could I draw from this if any? do you think I should get the 47ET50B instead of the ET5B ?

Many thanks.

I honestly feel like I am dancing in a minefield.

Yes and Yes

Not sure

It's not that bad:D

Thanks for all your help with everything.

I ended up with the 55HX853 and it has less invasive banding and what appears to be some discolouration down middle of the screen and to the left, almost like a dirty yellow.

This is my second set which seems to be pretty much the same.

Other than this, and the absurd stand, I feel this is a VERY nice TV and I guess if I want an LED/LCD then I will have to put up with these minor issues.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom