Response needed from those that see Panasonic "FLICKER"

What was wrong with your Kuro?
I don't know, and neither did the Pioneer agents that visited to inject a replacement firmware. My Kuro did buzz, but worse than that there was an about even chance that an evening's viewing would give me a bad headache. After ~300 hours I exchanged it for a V10, which hasn't induced any headaches. Neither Kuro or Viera noticeably flickered (that it to say that that there is a shimmer on the V10 firmware update screen but none with solid colour test patterns, etc.).

I have Panasonic Txp42g10b.
I not sure if it is flicker or blur or just out of focus.
I very disappointed with my frst flat screen. The picture has a yellow tint. or sometimes when an object moves across the screen it can be completley out of focus.
Watched a drama on ITV HD via freesat last night. When camara panned a room I thought I needed glasses.
Ive played with settings and I am just not happy.
Is this just my eyes?
I have not tried sky hd or blueray!
Most of my view is via freesat or standard sky+

I don't know, and neither did the Pioneer agents that visited to inject a replacement firmware. My Kuro did buzz, but worse than that there was an about even chance that an evening's viewing would give me a bad headache. After ~300 hours I exchanged it for a V10, which hasn't induced any headaches. Neither Kuro or Viera noticeably flickered (that it to say that that there is a shimmer on the V10 firmware update screen but none with solid colour test patterns, etc.).

Could you elaborate on this a little further - I am very interested?

The G10 and V10 flickers badly (my wife and I are sensitive to flicker though) but we have never had a problem with flicker on our Pioneer 507XD. It does buzz though since a repair and it is likely to be replaced with the Panasonic VT20, assuming this doesn't flicker like the 2009 models.
Our 507XD also developed a strange brightness fluctuation that occured 4-5 times every half an hour, mainly noticeable when watching Freeview on any channel.
No headaches since 50Hz CRTs!

Could you elaborate on this a little further - I am very interested?
There's not much to add except that the replacement Kuro firmware was supposed to reduce flickering, but I didn't notice much if any before or after. The Kuro picture looked like it was supposed to and the agents found no problem with the TV, but I couldn't live with it.

There's not much to add except that the replacement Kuro firmware was supposed to reduce flickering, but I didn't notice much if any before or after. The Kuro picture looked like it was supposed to and the agents found no problem with the TV, but I couldn't live with it.

Was it too bright?

I am just trying to understand what it was that caused a headache. Brightness can aggravate bad headaches and migraines.
It wouldn't have been flickering, unless it was broken but even then, this would be unlikely as the lowest frequency that the Pioneer can display is 60Hz and this can be turned into 72Hz using cadence detection assuming that it was filmed at 24 frames per second in the first place.
I often find that browsing the internet on the Pioneer plasma, with the same settings as the Xbox or Blu-ray for example is far too bright and I find this quite fatiguing.

I actually prefer IPS LCD for browsing the internet but for moving images.......

No, the Kuro was properly setup and appropriate modes used for the different source materials. It's the only TV that I've ever badly reacted to.

Is what you are describing the dithering used by plasmas to generate the full range of colours? I see it sometimes but would describe it more like the boiling patterns of grain you see in movie film than CRT flicker. I can understand why some would describe that as flickering.

Interestingly after 6 months of plasma owning I find my old Panasonic CRT 28" widescreen (which my son has in his room) virtually unwatchable due to flicker.

Is what you are describing the dithering used by plasmas to generate the full range of colours? I see it sometimes but would describe it more like the boiling patterns of grain you see in movie film than CRT flicker. I can understand why some would describe that as flickering.

Interestingly after 6 months of plasma owning I find my old Panasonic CRT 28" widescreen (which my son has in his room) virtually unwatchable due to flicker.

This is what I think I was inferring with regards to the flicker effect on the Panasonic G10 and V10. These screens are particular examples which really suffer and would be unwatchable to sensitive individuals like myself.

I have never seen this on my Pioneer 507XD though and have owned it for over 3 years.:confused:

To my eyes (and to some other's) the V10 picture is certainly cleaner than the Kuro's and Kuros do do more dithering than Vieras with their greater pixel colour capabilities. So maybe I'm simply more sensitive to dithering noise than are some, but could this induce headaches?

I think Panasonics only priority regarding the G10 V10 is to bury them as fast as possible lol :thumbsdow I viewed a Tosh Sv685 LCD RGB LED at the weekend, awsome piccy. the wrighting is on the wall...

Last edited:
I think Panasonics only priority regarding the G10 V10 is to bury them as fast as possible lol :thumbsdow I viewed a Tosh Sv685 LCD RGB LED at the weekend, awsome piccy. the wrighting is on the wall...

Yes, the black level problem may be there but I've got to say, if it wasn't for the flickering of the G10/V10, they would still be the best TV that you could actually buy several months ago for picture quality - even if the black levels increased by a factor of three.

The simple point is, what is better?

Samsung plasma 850 series(Buzzing, IR)
Samsung LED LCD 8000 series (Clouding, transient response)
LG Plasma (Come on.......:facepalm:)
Sharp LED LCD 700E series (fully backlit - maybe?)

Assuming the new Panasonic VT20 doesn't flicker like the 2009 models, this will be the best new TV that you can buy.

just get the panasonic u series, no problems reported on that set and its generally a really good tv ^.^ and it seems the flickering's caused by an interferance between the intelligent frame creation and the 600hz subfield but the whole eco friendly crap cant be doing it any good either =/ its bad enough the planet's naffed without having our tv's in same situation

yeah tends to flicker when its generating bright images, maybe its due to one of the settings that enhances the picture, i find it didn't do it when i messed with it in store when i toned some of the settings down so if you like things nice and dark like me then you wouldn't really inherit the whole flickering problem, just a suggestion but seemed to work in store for me ^.^

I was hoping on buying the Panasonic TX-P65VT20 in September when it is released here in the Netherlands, so I had a look at his smaller brother the P50VT20 which should technically speaking be the same. From the moment it was turned on and it was displaying normal 2d images I got very disappointed by this annoying flicker. I think it's unbelievable Panasonic still doesn't do anything about this. Even my first Pioneer plasma (503HDE) didn't have this issue.

I will go and see some Samsung panels (e.g. UE55C8700) and see if I get a flickerfree image on those. The lesser 3d quality I just have to accept then....

I was hoping on buying the Panasonic TX-P65VT20 in September when it is released here in the Netherlands, so I had a look at his smaller brother the P50VT20 which should technically speaking be the same. From the moment it was turned on and it was displaying normal 2d images I got very disappointed by this annoying flicker. I think it's unbelievable Panasonic still doesn't do anything about this. Even my first Pioneer plasma (503HDE) didn't have this issue.

I will go and see some Samsung panels (e.g. UE55C8700) and see if I get a flickerfree image on those. The lesser 3d quality I just have to accept then....

Whilst it clearly is not right, I'm guessing that Panasonic feel it's a relatively small percentage of people who see it so it's hard luck for them :thumbsdow I can very rarely see it out of the corner of my eye on a very light background but it's not enough to cause a problem. But some people have real issues with it & would never be able to view it for long without problems.

hello, have bought my first panny after the samsung ps50c450 died at exactly 1 month ,just unlucky i guess. the panny is a comet model a tx-p50u20b. ist a 400hz 1080p model ,it is a bit of a job to find the exact model specifacations as the u series is the america/ asia model though they are 600 hz very confusing :confused:.on the flicker subject you can occassionally notice it out of the corner of your eye but more noticable is if a program puts up a white banner you can see the flicker in that
picture is overall better than samsung but then it was dearer so maybee to be expected

Last edited:
hello, have bought my first panny after the samsung ps50c450 died at exactly 1 month ,just unlucky i guess. the panny is a comet model a tx-p50u20b. ist a 400hz 1080p model ,it is a bit of a job to find the exact model specifacations as the u series is the america/ asia model though they are 600 hz very confusing :confused:.on the flicker subject you can occassionally notice it out of the corner of your eye but more noticable is if a program puts up a white banner you can see the flicker in that.
picture is overall better than samsung but then it was dearer so maybee to be expected

That is exactly what I mean, where we might see it out of the corner of out eye this would drive someone crazy who is sensitive to flickeras they would see it all the time on screen :)

its not really that noticeable but i geuss if ya plan on living with it for a long time then you got every right to reconsider not wanting it lol either way, get plasma get flicker, get lcd get motion blur, either way you just cant win

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom