Resolved: Denon X1600H - DVD three-wire config - video doesn't work?

Gorlash

Novice Member
We have an older Sony DVD player, which does not have HDMI output.
With our previous receiver, we used its S-Video output, but the Denon does not have that input.
The Sony also has the 3-wire RCA red/white/yellow outputs, which the Denon appears to support, so I'm trying to use that instead.
I hooked up the audio cables to Audio_IN: 1 CBL/SAT, and hooked up the yellow to VIDEO_IN: 1 CBL/SAT.

Then, back on the receiver, I want to assign these inputs to DVD...
So in INPUT ASSIGN, under DVD, I set Analog and Video both to 1, and set Input Mode to Analog (I also tried Auto)...
When we play the DVD, we are getting audio, but not video...
I tried changing all the connections to Media Player inputs and setting Analog/Video both to 2, with no effect...

Is there some setting that I'm missing here??
I'm reviewing the Input Assign section of the manual, but it doesn't address this specific requirement...

[ I know folks will wonder "why are you using that old device that doesn't have HDMI output, when you have a perfectly good Blu-ray/DVD player as well ??
Well, that old machine has sentimental importance to us, so we just want to be able to use it, even though we usually won't !!
Yes, we be old farts... ]

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
AS suggested, while your AV receiver has analogue video inputs it has no ability to convert the analogue video signal to digital HDMI. If you were to want to pass analogue video through the AV receiver then you'd need to also make the same type of analogue video connection from the AVR to the TV.

The lowest current Denon model to include analogue to digital video conversion would be the X3700.

Maybe look into converting the older content to a farmats that can be played by newer devices or if this is not possible then you may need to start looking at analogue to digital conversion options?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The AV receiver has 2 composite video inputs and a composite video output. You'd have to connect the sources analogue composite (one single analogue coax connection) to one of the available composite inputs on the AV receiver. In order to then be able to pass this analogue video signal through and out to a display, you'd have to connect the AV receiiver analogue video out to an analogue video input on the TV.

The AV receiver only has composite analogue video inputs and not component analogue.

by default 2021-10-18 at 17.10.55.png

Gorlash

Novice Member
The AV receiver has 2 composite video inputs and a composite video output. You'd have to connect the sources analogue composite (one single analogue coax connection) to one of the available composite inputs on the AV receiver. In order to then be able to pass this analogue video signal through and out to a display, you'd have to connect the AV receiiver analogue video out to an analogue video input on the TV.

The AV receiver only has composite analogue video inputs and not component analogue.
Okay, I can confirm that my X1600H has a Video out:Monitor connector; but according to the manual I have to use Optical Out to connect to the TV, but our old plasma TV doesn't have Optical In...

Later note: after seeing @dante01's post, I tried connecting the Video Out:Monitor to a video input on the TV, and that works Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank ye all for your assistance here, it is greatly appreciated!!

dante01

Distinguished Member
by default 2021-10-18 at 17.41.48.png

It has 2 composite video inputs and 1 composite video output as illustrated above.

The section labelled VIDEO IN includes 2 composite inputs, one labelled CBL/SAT and the other labelled MEDIA player. Next to them is the composite output labelled VIDEO OUT MONITOR.

Gorlash

Novice Member
It has 2 composite video inputs and 1 composite video output as illustrated above.

The section labelled VIDEO IN includes 2 composite inputs, one labelled CBL/SAT and the other labelled MEDIA player. Next to them is the composite output labelled VIDEO OUT MONITOR.
Yep, I got that!! Actually, I used the connections that you recommended in your previous post, and it worked quite nicely!! We are able to play DVDs on our old player, and both sound and video are working fine! Thank you for your very clear assistance...

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom