RESOLVED: Denon AVR pop/chirp

vatovey74

Novice Member
Hello,

Have recently built a reasonably budget home cinema system comprising of the following components.

LG B7V OLED 55" TV
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 HCP (6x speakers, 1xCS, 1xSW)
Denon AVR-X2500H and Denon 3806
Solo 4k sat receiver
Xbox One
Retropie/Raspberry Pi 4
Cabling - pure copper cable

AV config - all of my AV devices HDMI's are going directly the TV, then I have an optical SPDIF cable running from the TV to the AVR.

Initially my AVR was the Denon 3806, but after setting it all up I couldn't help but notice random pop/chirping from the front left speaker, after checking the cabling, and testing on various inputs, I decided it must be the AVR unit, as it is getting on a bit.

As such, I upgraded to a Denon AVR-X2500H - connected everything this afternoon, ran the Audessey calibration, all looking great..... until the pop/chirp from the front left speaker happened. :(

At this point I thought it must be the speaker, so I switched my front left/right speakers around to see if the pop/chirp followed the speaker (I should have done this when I had the 3806 setup tbh), anyways... switched the Denon back on, and after 5-10 minutes a pop/chirp came along in the left speaker, meaning it's not the speaker which was swapped over.

For both of my Denon AVR's to exhibit the same fault I find unlikely, but not impossible of course.

As a confessed AVR newbie, could it be the pop/chirping I'm hearing from the front left speaker is normal for Denon AVR's ?, does it possibly signal something I haven't done properly in the config of the unit ?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks, Vaughn.

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Very strange issue you have. You could try putting in a new speaker cable on the left, but I doubt that will fix it. Can't think of fault finding method, you've got another AVR so that should have given you something to work on.

btw going from 3806 to 2500 is a downgrade, the 2500 may be newer but the 3806 is a higher tier AVR.

vatovey74

Novice Member
I've recorded the sound coming out of the front left speaker, maybe it will give someone an idea as to what it is.

This was with the X2500H switched on, powered up etc..., but with no input from the TV.

Apologies if the volume is a bit low, was recorded on my mobile phone.

Dobbyisfree

Does it correlate with anything else powered in the property? E.g. boiler pump kicking in and out?

If you try powering down every single thing in the home (including heating and hot water) see if it does it.

vatovey74

Novice Member
I did think something similar, but I can't see any correlation tbh.

I did get up at like 7am this morning especially to test this - as I knew there would be pretty much nothing pulling power from my distribution board. Only things other than AV equipment powered on would have been my fridge/freezer, combi-boiler (which was programmed not to be on), fibre modem, Netgear router and Canon AIO laser printer.

As the X2500H is able to throughput 4K, I am thinking of re-configuring my setup so that it becomes the hub of my system via HDMI, rather than the TV being the hub of my system via optical cable/HDMI.

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum and greetings from down the Valley.

As the chirp is from the same speaker position and you have found that the noise stays on that channel then you would expect it to be amp induced. However, having the same problem on the same channel is too much of a coincidence with a different amp.

I suspect the actual speaker wire. You say you have checked it but it's difficult to tell if there is damage to the actual cable. It could also be that the cable is passing close to another power supply and that the insulation has broken down and is picking up a power up from other electrical equipment in the house.

Have you any spare speaker cable that you can connect to the offending channel even if you have to move the speaker to see if the sound is replicated.

As for your 2500 acting as a HDMI hub then it will pass through all 4K signals from streaming services.

vatovey74

Novice Member
Thank you from sunny Cwmbach :)

I like your logic Gibbsy, am pretty sure I've got another small length of speaker cable here which I will swap it out with.

As my front left speaker is only about 50cm away from the AVR (both are placed on the same shelf), would that have caused it ?, guess I could move the speaker and see what result I get.

gibbsy

The proximity of the Denon shouldn't cause any problems but you never know so worth trying.

Dobbyisfree

I'd definitely agree to try both of those (speaker wire and proximity). Especially as I believe the PSU would be on that side of the AVR too.

In your list of things plugged in, a fridge or freezer would be the most suspect. Compressor cut in and out. I've had it before with an old rusty fridge/freezer that was in a shed outside - although made more of a "tick" noise. And, reason why it us unlikely the fault, it would be more likely to be in more than one speaker.

vatovey74

Novice Member
I've just replaced the speaker cable - same problem :(

Will try and move the speaker a bit later and re-test.

Would/could it have anything to do with the unit having an optical input from my LG TV ?

Jester1066

@vatovey74 Out of interest, do you have any powerline adapters plugged into wall sockets nearby the Denon and or speakers?

Only asking as I previously got some strange speaker hisses/pops. It turned out to interference caused by the powerline adapter. As soon as I removed that it solved the issue.

shug4476

Does it happen on all sources? So if you switch between TV/DVD etc, does it persist?

vatovey74

Novice Member
@Jester1066 Nope, no powerline adapters, only using cat 6 ethernet cables, and 5ghz wifi on the Denon.

@shug4476 Yes, seems to happen on all sources - and even when no source is selected, so the AVR is essentially just sitting there.

I have moved my front left speaker to a few shelves above the AVR, and..... same problem, meaning I've pretty much changed everything in my setup.

Whilst I was standing in the area where all my AV stuff in, rewiring so that the Denon is now the hub of the system via HDMI, I heard a pop/chirp - it very much sounded like it came out of the sub-woofer, and not the front-left speaker.

My sub is on the bottom shelf, so I'm thinking I could have been mistaken - are sub-woofers known to make the kind of noise I've linked above ?

It's a Wharfedale SW150.

rccarguy2

Do you live near mobile phone mast?

gibbsy

@Jester1066 Nope, no powerline adapters, only using cat 6 ethernet cables, and 5ghz wifi on the Denon.

@shug4476 Yes, seems to happen on all sources - and even when no source is selected, so the AVR is essentially just sitting there.

I have moved my front left speaker to a few shelves above the AVR, and..... same problem, meaning I've pretty much changed everything in my setup.

Whilst I was standing in the area where all my AV stuff in, rewiring so that the Denon is now the hub of the system via HDMI, I heard a pop/chirp - it very much sounded like it came out of the sub-woofer, and not the front-left speaker.

My sub is on the bottom shelf, so I'm thinking I could have been mistaken - are sub-woofers known to make the kind of noise I've linked above ?

It's a Wharfedale SW150.
Subs, or rather the RCA cables can be prone to picking up interference. Tap the connection where it goes into the sub, it may just be a faulty male connection, I've had that happen and a new cable solved the problem.

vatovey74

Novice Member
Phone mast is about half a mile away, but due to the topography of the area - signal isn't to great unfortunately.

Well, I've removed power from the sub, and will re-test tomorrow. The sub phono cable I have is shielded (I believe) and is brand new, but yes - I will be checking it also.

From what I've read online, the SW150 has an auto power off feature - thinking it could be that ?

rccarguy2

I have a Wharfedale Diamond SW-150 when it powers up or down it doesn't effect the output to the other speakers

rccarguy2

Hang on that does sound like the subwoofer going from on to off mode!! It comes from the sub not the left speaker....unless the sub is next to the left speaker so you think it's the speaker when in fact it's the sub!

vatovey74

Novice Member
Well, funnily enough my sub is on first shelf nearest the floor, 2nd shelf is sat equipment / power bars, 3rd shelf is Diamond 9.1 speaker (front-left), and Denon AVR.

So I am thinking I could have been mistaken in thinking it was coming from the front-left speaker, rather than the sub.

I will test tomorrow with the sub powered off.

If it turns out to be the sub, any optimal settings I should be using for the SW-150 ?

rccarguy2

Phase at zero
Crossover all the way to maximum

nenito2k

So?!

vatovey74

Novice Member
Finally resolved, was the sub-woofer.

SW was set to auto, have since changed it to be always on - no pop/chirp for many hours whilst watching the Lions.

Have moved front-left speaker back to it's original position next to the AVR, and no untoward noises coming from it either.

Thanks to all who have helped along the way, very much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Linn unveils latest Klimax LP12 flagship turntable
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Tizen plans include cloud gaming for smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play racks up 10 million users