[RESOLVED BY PHILIPS!] Does your Philips TV work with HDMI CEC?

EssentialParadox

Novice Member
So I got a brand new Philips 70PUS7805 TV a few months ago but my Apple TV doesn’t turn it on via HDMI CEC (I’ve quintuple checked that all HDMI / ‘Easylink’ settings are all turned on). Also never had this issue on my old TV.

I spoke to Philips customer service about this and they told me it’s not an issue with the TV but with Apple. I was skeptical about this so I’ve also tried a few other HDMI CEC devices — my AV receiver, and my PS5 — to try turning on the TV over HDMI CEC… these don’t work either.

I wanted to know from other owners, is this common across all Philips TVs or might I have a faulty one? If you could give me your experiences I’d be grateful.

(Extra note for clarification, because it may sound like a minor issue, but in my case it’s not — If the Apple TV and AV receiver turn on before the TV [e.g if the cat walks over the Apple remote, or it gets dropped, or a guest touches the remote], it completely screws up the HDMI ARC handshake for the AV system. Literally the only way to fix this is to shut down each device individually then at the plug for 30 seconds, then back on. Because the remote does get activated a few times per week despite best efforts, I currently spend hours doing this reset every week due to this issue, so it’s quite a major hassle for me.)

Last edited:

nipbiplip

Can't comment on ATV+, but the CEC on my 7334 does kind of work.

Upon switching the tv on, the AV receiver & PS4 will switch on automatically (also can be controlled via the TV remote as can my firestick)

However, I cannot get it to control my SKY mini box, despite its own CEC being switched on

EssentialParadox

Novice Member
I similarly can turn on the TV and other HDMI CEC devices using the Philips remote. It’s more whether it works for you the other way around — can you turn on the TV by switching on the other devices (e.g the PS4 or AV receiver?)

EssentialParadox

Novice Member
It works with my 50PUS8204, paired with Xbox and Switch.
Thanks for the info. Has anyone else got a system that does / doesn’t work with their Philips TV? Getting fobbed off by customer service so just trying to see if it’s my TV that’s faulty or all Philips TVs…

Tonic27

I have a problem where my firstick always switches inputs, even if I have it all turned off.
Very strange.

Tonic27

To be honest 8bhave switched it all off, it was driving me mad
I will have a go again at some point

Frankyve85

Novice Member
got mine 7805 today, and i noticed that my older onkyo receiver sometimes loses it's handshake with the tv after switching hdmi ports. it then loses loses sound and control.

lemonswhatever

Novice Member
My 50pus8555 was working fine with Yamaha RX370V receiver but firmware update that fixed Disney+ 4k broke it a bit - volume control doesn't work and if output changes (e.g. stereo to Atmos) it gets confused and needs a bit of fiddling to get the sound to work

EssentialParadox

Novice Member
UPDATE — Just wanted to give an update on my experience with Philips customer service. After reporting this issue and following a few tests they asked me to follow and provide system logs for, I’m VERY pleased to report they’ve created a new software update and sent me the BETA software and it fixes all of my problems! I can now use the Apple TV remote to turn ON and OFF the Philips TV and everything works perfectly.

VERY impressed with Philips customer service on this issue. Did take a bit of pushing at the beginning but I’m potentially now a Philips customer for life. 👍

Supermal

UPDATE — Just wanted to give an update on my experience with Philips customer service. After reporting this issue and following a few tests they asked me to follow and provide system logs for, I’m VERY pleased to report they’ve created a new software update and sent me the BETA software and it fixes all of my problems! I can now use the Apple TV remote to turn ON and OFF the Philips TV and everything works perfectly.

VERY impressed with Philips customer service on this issue. Did take a bit of pushing at the beginning but I’m potentially now a Philips customer for life. 👍
Credit to you for pushing this issue with Philips and not accepting being fobbed off by blaming other devices. I wish they would respect the concerns of there customers and give the support and attention they deserve.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom