1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolution

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by m@rk, Apr 19, 2002.

1. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I have just discovered that my new laptop has an S-video socket on the back of it (it was never mentioned in the manual) and upon plugging it into my TV, it works a lot better than I was expecting.

But my question is:

I have a Toshiba 36" widescreen TV and obviously that does not run at 800x600 resolution. So what resolution should I aiming for?

Following on from that, once I know the resolution I need, how do I set up Windows 2000 to produce that (I am assuming a registry hack).

Cheers

2. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I've a feeling that whetever your desktop resolution, the s-video output will be limited to a standard PAL resolution.
    You may get improvements by setting your laptop to the same res but I don't know for sure.

I would use Powerstrip to do the custom timings. I'm not sure you'll be able to get any interlaced resolutions working though. It depends on the graphics card.

HTH
    Alex

3. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Having had a 'play' with it (I knew I had an s-video lead somewhere), if I set it to 600x400, it is okay but if I set it to 800x600, it goes off the edge of the screen but I can 'pan' the screen in all directions to see it all.

Therefore the PAL output (it also has an NTCS option) in not a fixed resolution.

So all I need now it to find out what the right resolution is and I should be okay

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I'm sure powerstrip will have a setting for pal - which would include the correct amount of overscan but you could try 768 x 576 @ 50hz which is PAL as I know it.

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Try for 720x576 if you can.

Failing that most graphics card support 848x480 which will work fine.