1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolution

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cruncher75, Nov 11, 2003.

1. cruncher75

cruncher75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Resolution is this a important thing to look at when buying a plasma screen i have £3000 which do u think i should go for

2. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you are shopping for resolution that money won't get you much. Perhaps a second hand 5 generation 50inch Panny after hard bargaining.

double your budget, go for LCD or keep waiting.

keep in mind that high resolution may be as bad as low for everyday watching as scaling up is a hard job especially with crapy broadcast quality we are blessed with. So you are looking at another 1K for an external scaler if you want all those pixels to work

when I was getting my 42inch low res panny my reasoning was: by the time they sorted out boadcast quality problems or HiDef TV arrived on our isles i will be able to pick up a 10Mpixel tv for a grand. In the meantime I'll keep the money and get good cables.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    For £3k stuff the resolution, get a PW6. If you want hi res, then the only one at that price is a PMA400 which is an alis 1024x1024 panel. Personally don't like them much, but it is simply that. Many people rate them highly.

4. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get the Hitachi 42PD3000 for £3000, resolution 1024x1024 (ALiS), or the smaller Philips 37PF9965 for a bit less, also I think 1024x1024 (and also ALiS). The 42PD3000 is the "TV version" of the PMA400, I think, with tuner and speakers and tabletop stand, and together with its smaller brother the 32PD3000 it's the UK's best selling plasma apparently! I think resolution's important, so it's probably what I'd buy if I were buying now. My wife would buy the Philips because it's prettier.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    But then why pay £3k for a tv the government have pledged to make obsolete in 4-5 years, when it's design life is 15 or so? Get a panel, and a freeview box, or perhaps you already have sky or cable. The speakers will be rubbish compared to a budget av system, and make the panel big and gawky in my view. From normal viewing distance the resolution is very secondary, the reason the hitachis are the best selling plasmas is cos they're knocked out in currys and department stores where the majority of the great unwashed do their shopping. Not because they are the best, though I do not dispute they are a fine effort, and way better than the other korean stuff in Currys

6. cruncher75

cruncher75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    yea might go for the Hitachi 42PD3000 maw what a panel i have ntl