1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolution?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Blendingmonkeys, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Blendingmonkeys

Blendingmonkeys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys. I am new to this forum and new to the whole PJ thing. I have been trying to find out whether or not I will need an XGA PJ or an SVGA PJ. I'm thinking of hooking it up to my PC and my X-box/PS2. It will mostly be used for games and movies off the PC. I read a bit about the viewsonic pj500, which is an SVGA PJ, and that it can show XGA. But will the image quality be a lot worse than that of a true XGA PJ? And if SVGA is acceptable then which PJ would best suit my needs? The Infocus X1 or the Viewsonic pj500?
    Thanks in advance for any input you guys can give me.

2. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    since you are looking in the sub 1000 pj zone i would not recommend the X1 unless you have demoed, the rainbow effect can be seen and if you can see them watching films and playing games will be an uncomfortable experience.
    I have to recommend the panasonic 200 for sub £1000, but if you can stretch a bit further i would wait for the sanyo z2, very high resolution 1280 X720, and has a DVI input which your pc's graphics card could probably use which is of very high quality, or wait for the panasonic PT-AE500.
    These pj's will probably be similar prices, they both haven't officialy come out in the Uk yet. If you can't wait and want them for a cheaper price and willing to take a small risk go to www.pricejapan.com and order it from there.
    Regards
    Fred

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is really a question we cant answer...... if you try to give a native svga machine an xga signal, it will scale it to display it, so in theory it wouldnt look as good as exactly the same machine with an xga panel..... but that is a comparison you cant make because you arent talking about exactly the same machine!

You really need to have a look for yourself and see if the svga is good enough to your eyes. I used an svga machine for the last 2 years and was reasonably happy, you may not be.

Oh, and if you did get a svga machine, the best image would come from feeding it an svga signal, not an xga one.

ad

4. Blendingmonkeys

Blendingmonkeys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The viewsonic pj500 has 1200 ansi lumen and the panasonic only has 700 ansi lumen. Is that something to worry about?

5. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no it is not, unless you are going to projecting onto a very very big screen or if you are using it is resonably bright, well lit rooms
    Fred

6. Blendingmonkeys

Blendingmonkeys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help, both of you. Its much appreciated.

7. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no probs if you need any help with other stuff don't hesitate to post or pm ppl, i know the basics but if you would like to know really detailed stuff about certain models kramer is very experienced and has a vast pj knowledge and so does theritz, naming just a few i know
    Fred

8. Blendingmonkeys

Blendingmonkeys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend a good 4:3 PJ? And what are LCD and CRT best for respectively? (movies, games so forth...)

In the £1k area...

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Best 4:3 machine I know for cinema type purposes...... nec ht1000

LCD is good for joe off the streets because it will give a good enough picture, is easy to set up and small. Performance wise, if you are spending equal money or a professionally set up 2nd hand crt, crt will win most times (and im told be a clear margin?). If one is better for games, chances are t will be for movies as well.

ad

10. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were you, I'd not buy a Z1 or AE300....and certainly not anything else with an even lower resolution...

At the moment the VERY best deal I know is the Z2 from ivojo for 1000 +VAT!!!

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the deal doesnt exist anymore...... ran out so it isnt a consideration.

blendingmonkeys:
    why do you specifically ask about 4:3?

ad

12. Blendingmonkeys

Blendingmonkeys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just not fond of widescreen. I have a hard time seeing the benefits of it. Maybe I'm just transferring my widescreen television aversions onto the PJ market. But I plan to mostly use my PC and since most PC games are 4:3 I guess it would be a better choice.
    As for movies; When you watch 4:3 movies you have 2 black bars on both sides of the screen and when you watch widescreen you may even have bars on top and bottom, depending on which type of widescreen you're watching. With a 4:3 screen you may have black bars on top and bottom, but that's it. And what do you do with a widescreen movie with subtitles? Many times the subtitles are displayed in the bottom black bar...
    I just have an aversion, I guess... :)

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    your using the projector for pc games is validation enough!

I will refrain from commenting on widescreen, i have my views which arent a million miles diffrerent from yours, but i dont want to go diverting your thread! :D

ad

14. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Why dont you consider getting a decent 4:3 DLP machine like the Sharp Z91E or the NEC HT1000.

Get an oversized 16:9 screen and use both the 4:3 mode and the 16:9 mode, thus having the best of both worlds. For instance, project a 6 foot image on an 8 foot screen, if that makes sense.

There is a great article about the merits of 4:3 vs. 16:9 at -

www.projectorcentral.com

Hope this helps.

Cap:smashin:

15. Blendingmonkeys

Blendingmonkeys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Makes sense to me. Thanks

except... they're pretty damn expensive... :(

16. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
  17. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to do gaming that XGA should be the resolution you're looking for. Getting a decent XGA projector that is also good for home theatre is....well...difficult in the 1000.- price range. You need to spend a lot more. The Sharp Z91 is also in the range of 1500 + VAT and it's not even XGA....I got an HT1000 and that was even more but I got it for the very same reasons. Games run in either SVGA or XGA....they don't want to know about 1280x720 :-|

If you want to stay in the 1000.- range that I still think the Z2 is a good bet.....or you could get a refurb HS10 for 1400.- incl. VAT that is WXGA.

Cheers,
    Stefan