Resolution (why does it not match my PC?)

Reaction score
I have a Panasonic 720p plasma. According to the instructione, the scree is 1024 x 768.

However, when I connect it to my PC via HDMI and set the resolution on my PC to 1024 x 768, I have black bars on either side of the screen.

Any ideas as to why this is?

Your TV most likely has a 16:9 aspect ratio , but 1024 x 768 is not a 16:9 aspect ratio , its a 4:3 aspect ratio , your TV is using internal trickery ( rectangular pixels ) to make a 1024 x 768 native resolution into a 16: 9 aspect ratio.

What you need to do is set the PC up to output either 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080 , your TV will be equipped to accept one or both of those signals and will apply its own scaling to it for it to fit properly on your panel.

You may also have to use the graphics card utility to correct for overscan.

Thanks. Unfortunately my graphics card (built into the motherboard) doesn't offer those resolutions. I've tried all those that are available and none of thm fill the screen. Guess I'm stuffed?

In any case, it'd be a bit of a bind having to adjust the settings every time I wanted to switch over from my monitor to the TV I guess.

Which motherboard do you have ? What is the built in graphics adaptor ?

Most graphics chips should let you set up the TV as a second display , allowing you to simply switch between first and second display very easily.

Likewise most have HDTV setup in the driver utilities. Expecially if theres a HDMI out on the PC.

That has an Ati 4200 chipset , that means its controlled by ATi's Catalyst Control Center.

From the desktop , right click , choose Catalyst Control Center , down the left hand side , you should see an option called Display management.

Go in here and set up your display. You have the option of primary ( which should be your PC ) Display , and Secondary ( which should be your TV ) display , your primary or PC Display should already be set up , just set up the Secondary to output 1280 x 720p to your TV.

If your TV can accept 1080p then set it up for 1920 x 1080 , otherwise stick with 1280 x 720.

Thanks Andy. Got it working nicely after ginally figuring out I needed to download it!

What ould be ideal is if I could run 2 different resolutions simultaneously. Is that possible?

Alternatively,is it possible to configure things so that when I open certain programs (XMBC, themedia player, for example), it will change resolution automatically?

Failing that, a quick short cut to changing resolution back and forth?

I have a Panasonic 720p plasma. According to the instructione, the scree is 1024 x 768.

However, when I connect it to my PC via HDMI and set the resolution on my PC to 1024 x 768, I have black bars on either side of the screen.

Any ideas as to why this is?

The 1024*768 is the resolution if you connect using the VGA connection on the TV. Since you are connecting by HDMI then 720p is the native resolution which is 1280*720 or 1360*768. But in the new catalyst control centre you should be able to select 720p.

Failing that, a quick short cut to changing resolution back and forth?

You can setup profiles. And then just select between them. Profiles can be created by going into the options at the top right of the catalyst control centre window.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom