1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolution vs Print Size

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Bonus, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Bonus

Bonus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting an Optio S camera as a first camera, but it'll only really be for taking general snaps until I can figure out what all the bells and whistles do. First things first, what sort of resolution should I be using to get good prints for each size.

i.e. 4 x 6 should be what resolution? 1600 x 1200?

I just don't know, don't want to waste precious space that I don't really need.

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    assuming you mean 1600x1200 @72ppi you need to increase the resolution to about 260ppi gives you 6x4.5

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I always use my digital cameras set to the max resolution & image size. This does take a lot of space on a 5mp camera, but the benefits are obvious if you then want to edit the pics on a PC. Being large and high quality I can digitally zoom in on a small region of the pic without the detail being lost. I can also get it printed much larger.
    If the above is not important to you then I would suggest you have a play with the different settings and see how low they can go and still give results that you are happy with. IMO memory cards are now so cheap you don't really need to compromise the quality for space, just have a few spare cards.

Mark.

4. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    My little 2mp camera gives great pictures at 4x6 and pretty good pictures at 5x8 and of course on my web site, it doesn't matter anyway.

If you are wanting to go above these sizes, you need a higher resolution camera (although I don't think anybody makes a serious digicam with less than 3mp these days anyway).

5. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    For what it's worth I agree with Networkguy, my 2 mp Nikon at max resolution does fine prints at 6"x4", a cropped 5"x7" you could see breaking up. However once you've got used to viewing prints either on TV or PC you won't bother with prints much. - But if you take them on max resolution you've got the option & can crop them on your PC. Memory is relatively cheep, you'll kick yourself if you've taken a good photo on too low a resolution to print & of course unless you're a David Bailey you'll probably be bining many photos, so perhaps don't need the space you first think. 24 exp film may give you 5 good photos, on digi bin the other 19 whilst out & about!

6. Miggs

Miggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I agree with markE turn it up right up and keep it up....lol. You may at some time in the future decide to crop or enlarge an old image and without the res you maybe sorry. Good luck Miggs

7. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Again, I have to agree - take shots at the best quality and resolution you can. You can always easily crop, reduce size, and resample later if needed, but if you start low res, you're stuck with it.