resolution question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by fatrich, Oct 1, 2001.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    hi chaps<br />what does one consider to be the perfect resolution?, and even though i have powerstrip is the overall resolution still controlled via the graphics card.i keep changing the powerstrip setting to something like 1420 by 900 (can't remember the exact numbers) and it defaults to it's current setting of 1024 by 760 or what ever it is (sorry to be vague with the numbers i am on my lap top and my hcpc is at home)

It is that i have been told that a good resolution is 1420 by 720 my barco can take it but when i try to adjust the powerstrip it resets to it's origional setting and when i go in to properties to adjust the setting on the graphics card it goes from the current setting of 1024 to 1100 and odd then 1200 and odd then to its max setting of 1600 and odd (SORRY GUYS ABOUT NOT KNOWING THE EXACT RESOLUTION NUMBERS) no 1400 in between the graphics card is the rage fury 128, do i need to replace it to get the desired resolution or does any one know if the powerstrip can over ride it and if so how.if this is all too long winded because it is to be can anyone recommend a card that it better than the rage fury and give me the desired resolution.

many thanks

richard

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Ricard,

Which Barco do you have?

Jeff

3. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Jeff<br />it's an 808 graphic

regards<br />richard

4. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming it has &gt; 1000 hours it'll be 1280x720.

If its below 1000 hours 1440x960.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    It also depends on aspect ratio of screen you are using and whether you are using a vertical sizing crush to do anamorphic discs.

Here's a wee trick for you.....

Adjust contrast and brightness as you would watch a film. Now, put up a 70ire white window, or 80. Go right up to the screen and see if you can see the scan lines. Change the resolution and see what happens. 800x 600 you'll see scan lines, 1280 X 720 you may still see scan lines, 1024 x 768 you may still see scan lines..... Keep going until they just touch. A new 808/Cine8 set up well can do 840 horizontal lines with an anamprohic squeeze. 840 being the second part of the numbers. Now how many pixels (ie the first part of the number) you may want to just try a few. ie 720 x 720, 1440 x 720, 1280 x 720.....I'm not a HTPC guy so can't help other than above.

Gordon

P.S.<br />OH, once you've got the lines just touching and you can barely see the gap put up a 100ire window....Did the gapS disappear? If they did you've got the contrast set too high and the image is blooming. Turn it down and do it all again.

This is also a good way to set contrast on a direct view 50Hz tv if you don't have AVIA, V.E. or similar test patterns. Put on a bright white scene and adjust contrast until the scan lines start to merge in to each other. Then back off till you can see them clearly...