1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolution on PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dave R, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Dave R

Dave R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having read a number of magazine reviews and comments on this forum, the Panasonic PW6 seemed by best bet for a Plasma panel around the £3,000 mark. Tryring to find one properly set up is another matter though.
    I ventured in to Sevenoaks in Bristol, where the guy told me although they could get the Panasonic he didn't recommend it as it's only 420 lines of resolution, ie; you're effectively losing about 20% of your picture detail. If this is the case, why has this not been mentioned in these threads? Is it not particulary noticable?
    He suggested a new Fujitsu model at £3,799 which is a little more than I ideally wanted to spend, but then equally I don't want to get something and then regret it. The picture on the Fujitsu did look superb but then as I mentioned I've yet to find a properly set up PW6.
    Suggestions on where I might find a PW6 in the Avon/Somerset area gratefully received, even better if I can do a side by side comparison with the Fujitsu.
    My requirements are 42" or 37" panel (not TV) with component inputs.

Thanks.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Dave,

The Panasonic PW6 is a 480 line resolution screen, not 420. As you realise, you are losing 96 lines of a PAL signal - detail which is lost forever and has been discussed many times on here! Which model Fujitsu was recommended to you? They do 2 types of 42" plasmas - ALIS (1024x1024) or a 480 line model based on Panasonic glass with their own electronics. Check out the many threads on ALIS panels! Hope this helps.

Steve

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Although the ALIS panels on the Hitachi etc are higher resolution (and I have the Hitachi plasma on my shortlist), it seems a little simplistic to simply dismiss it as you appear to be doing.

Yes, on the surface, a loss of 96 lines would seem to be a lot, but if so, why is the Panasonic getting such good reviews? And other 'low res' panels come to mention it.

Maybe its because they do a very good job of scaling the inputs to the 'limitations' of the screen.
    You could just as easily say that the ALIS panels have to scale *up* the incoming image, which could introduce unwanted artifacts.

At the end of the day, as the first poster says, you should take a look at a well set up screen to make your decision - not some arbitrary statement of dubious intent.

Me? I'm not certain about the Panasonics. I found them to flicker slightly on viewing, but maybe thats only with strip lighting in stores. The Hitachi and a Toshiba looked good to my eyes.

4. Dave R

Dave R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The model Sevenoaks had was the P42HHA30 which I believe is just out. On the negative side, I think the contrast ratio on this is 1000:1, compared to the PW6's claimed 4000:1.
    I know I'm going to have to view both, but it's good to get people's ideas as well.