1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolution of HDMI on LG 42PX3RV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mindvox, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got a DVD to HDMI cable coming and will be using it to connect my PC to the Plasma. I know the panel resolution is 852 x 480, which obviously cannot be changed, regardless of input method. Is this resolution the ultimate for the panel, or is this the resolution through standard connections, with HDMI and Component offering higher resolutions?

However, while I can push my FX5950 Ultra 256mb to 1280 x 1024 on my PC's TFT monitor, would I be right in saying that if I chose this resolution in the game settings that the Plasma would display "No Signal"? Or, hopefully, will the Plasma refit the signal from the PC (1280 x 1024) through the DVI/HDMI connection to appear on the Plasma?

The thought of having to play Doom 3, Quake 4, Unreal Tournament 2K4, Far Cry, and Half Life 2 at 640 x 480 isn't too appealing. I also thought that an HDMI connection allowed to show a higher resolution, or at least allow the set to manipulate a higher resolution signal to fit into the set's specifications.

Cheers.

2. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Native res will still look the best on a plasma i should think.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello Mindvox

You've fallen for the Marketing spiel :)

HDMI is a connectivity standard - its Digital, Carries Video + Audio and Importantly for the folk who paid for its invention it can Encrypt the Video and Audio signal.

The Video signal you pass over an HDMI cable can be Standard or High Definition - your source device dictates which not the cable/connector; an HDMI cable cannot miraculously convert a Standard Definition source into a High Definition wonder signal.

As HDMI is primarily a 'Consumer Video' interconnect you have to keep in mind the range of Video signals your screens HDMI Input socket is compatible with will likely NOT include any of the popular PC resolutions; its not that it cant Input VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA its just that the chip manufacturers who produce HDMI Transmitter and Receiver chips supply them pre configured to only work with certain resolutions and the lowest cost chips are compatible with the smallest range of signals the HDMI spec allows for.

To Input a Digital Video signal from your PC Graphics Card you need to be able to set your PC to Output one of the signals listed in your Screens 'Compatibility' chart for its HDMI socket; these are likely to include 720x480P, 720x576P, 1280x720P and 1920x1080i.

Try all of the above and 'see' which looks best on your screen - you may need to use Powerstrip or similar to 'enable' any of these Video resolutions on your PC.

Best regards

Joe

4. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    There is a HDMI resolutions chart in the manual for the LG...why don't you ppl read the manuals???

5. avman69

avman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mindvox whatever res you set your pc display to the panel will unfortunately downscale to meet the panels native res of 852*480, if it cant then it will just display a black screen, therefore no advantage gained, plus your aspect will be widescreen not suiting doom 3, ut 2k4 etc..

6. wolff

wolff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use the VGA input on the plasma but not HDMI - if you have your heart set on it it will display a downscaled picture when you go over the native 852 x 480 but when you are playing games you wont notice it

In english this means that the picture looks fine for games and graphics but bad for text etc

Ive tried HL2 FEAR etc at different resolutions - usually 1024 x 768 and they all play fine

You will notice the effect it has on text and desktop icons etc making them blurred -

the only reason I didnt buy a DVD to HDMI was the cost of the 50ft cable I needed

There is a list of supported resolutions in the manual under both VGA and HDMI

hope this helps

7. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not "fallen" for anything, I know my set is HD Compatible and not HD Ready. I just thought that the resolution via RGB, Component, and HDMI varied but within the set specification of the set, nothing more mate.

Cheers for the info though. :smashin:

8. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you just answer the questions posted instead of being ignorant?

I looked at the manual and seen a resolution of 1280 x 1024 listed, but the information beside the resolution was just jargon.

Now, has it ever occured that this is my first Plasma TV and that help, and not smart arse comments, are appreciated?

9. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate. :smashin:

Although I don't mind Doom 3 or Unreal Tournament 2K4 in widescreen being honest. :D

10. avman69

avman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not that they (doom 3 & ut2k4) look terrible or anything but when your used to playing them with a good 4:3 monitor, & then make the switch to 16:9, proportions of characters do suffer, its like who who ate all the pies!!. There are ways of fixing the aspect for 4:3 pc games, but not sure about the console games, unless they come with a widscreen option.