Resolution of DV capture from camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by snelly, Sep 9, 2003.

1. snelly

snelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Guys,

I am a relative newbie to the world of DV but have been playing for a couple of months. I have a PAL Canon MV650i and have been using Pinnacle Studio 8 with the Pinnacle supplied firewire cable.

What I am wondering is this...

I want to be able to capture video in as high quality as possible, space is no object really. I assume from the docs that DV capture is the best way to do this. My PC will happily capture DV without dropping any frames *BUT* the resulting video I capture is only at a resolution of 360x288 (approx I forget the exact values :rolleyes: ) So I checked in the capture settings and there is a dropdown for resolution but it is greyed out and selected to this value

Bearing in mind these DV cams have a res of > 500 lines why is this happening? Is it a limitation of the 1394 card, the PC, the camcorder??? It is peeing me of that I cant store footage in full quality as I want to capture it once and then archive it to disk to free up the DV tapes.

Any help appreciated

Tim

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    When you use a Firewire card to load video onto a PC it is, strictly speaking, a file transfer operation and not a capture operation. The data coming off tape, at a native DV resolution of 720x576 (PAL), is transfered to an AVI file retaining the same DV compression and resolution. Your DV-AVI files should therefore have a resolution of 720x576.

I suspect that you are capturing at Preview Quality. This will convert the incoming DV compessed file into a file of lower resolution and use a non-DV compression codec. The quality will be quite poor.

Go to Setup>Capture Format and set Presets to DV. The greyed out resolution should be 720x576.

3. snelly

snelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thx Jef I'll try that tonight!

I have recently become a first time dad and am desperaet to get some footage onto CD and sent to oversea relatives...

Tim

4. snelly

snelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jef,

I tried all that, have upgraded Studio to the latest version over the web and...

It does indeed now say that the res is 720x576 However...

The captured video file (.avi) appears to be at 360x288 when I play in in Media Player...

So which is it....... Can media player really get that wrong? Or is it me :blush: I dont understand how the 'file transfer' converts it in realtime to a lower res. Any ideas...

--Edit--

I just tried the Make Movie process and surprise surprise the output is still 360x288

HELP....I am going mad

Thanks

Tim

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Window's Media Player tends to play at half resoltion by default.

If your sure it's a 720x576 res file then look at WMP settings to ensure it is playing back at full resolution.

If I remeber correctly it's

Find MPLAYER2.EXE

Launch application

Open your .avi in Media Player. Choose File>Properties>Advanced>DV Video Decoder>Properties>Full Resolution. Set as Default and Apply.

6. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    As vonhosen said Media Player does do strange things by default.

To remove any doubt download and install VirtualDub (free) from http://www186.pair.com/vdub/index and File > File Information will give you all the file characteristics

7. snelly

snelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :clap:

thanks vonhosen / Jef.

You were right it was just media player...the annoying thing is that in the properties window it stated that the res of the video was 360x288...when actually it was just that the default was setting it to this agin...

Yet another reson to love Micro$oft :rolleyes:

Cheers guys I am much happier now...

Tim