Resolution of current DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Malone, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Have had a look using search engine but cannot find appropriate threads.

What is the maximum output (visual) of a PAL Dvd player and a NTSC Dvd player when connected to a compliant device such as a LCD or Plasma or Projector.

If the output is high like 720 or even 1080i then would you need specific films or are most films loaded with full resolution, only requiring appropriate monitor to benefit from full resolution on disc. As in a DVD can have Stereo/Dolby Pro Logic/Dolby Digital/DTS etc and all you need is the decoder such as DTS to get it.

Regards

Matt

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    PAL is 720x576 NTSC is 720x480

3. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks. Do all DVD's carry that resolution? (within recent history)

Matt

4. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Oo sorry just one more question.

Will component leads carry 720 x 576 resolution to LCD or plasma from any component-able DVD or does the DVD player have to output Progressive Scan??

Thanks

Matt

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Yes all dvd's have that res. even though dvd is compatible with lower res the max is allways used. A dvd player will allways output that res progressive or not

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    In interlace mode its going to be 720x240 for ntsc for each field or 720x288 for pal per field. Its down to whether the consider the resolution is the combination of two fields or just one field. If you consider its two fields then both progressive and interlace are the same resolution even though the dvd player has to process twice as much screen data for progressive. Interlace is a way of faking a higher resolution at a cost of flicker at least for larger 50hz screens anyway.

7. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The only current DVD players to output 720 and 1080 are Denon 1910, Panasonic S97 and Samsung 945 IIRC. These work by taking the PAL or NTSC signal (576 or 480) and inserts extra lines to make it up to 720/1080. It does this my guessing what the line is by what is around it at the time.

DVDs with 720 or 1080 resolution do not exist. The best you can probably get are WMV9 files which can be put on a DVD or something similar. I think you need a computer to view them though.

Blu Ray and HD-DVD will be making an entrance next year and these will support full Hi Def 720 and 1080 res's although you need a new player and start buying Blu Ray or HD-DVD discs !

Richie.

8. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    You can of course watch films in 1920 X 1080 on D-VHS (also known as D-Theatre). Picture & sound quality from these is quite amazing but the hardware is very expensive. See CRT Projectors & NG03 for details. I was lucky, got a new one from ebay for £275! I also get my films from DVDBoxoffice in canada delivered for £19.00. Just got Alien - Wow!

:thumbsup: