Resolution issues depending on cable

pimmo2000

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hopefully I've picked the right section for this question, its driving me crazy.

Basically I have a laptop with a docking station, the docking station has two video out puts, one looks to be VGA, the other is DVI.

I connect two monitors (win xp) and have no issues. I then moved my docking station further away and needed a longer VGA (SVGA ?) cable.

I ordered an extension to the standard out of the box cable.

I got this ( Belkin Video Graphics Cable D-Sub VGA 2m Long Male-Female SVGA Extension Lead | eBay )

Computer boots and the quality is a bit grainy .. but resolution is fine, maxes out for the monitor.

So I think fair enough, an extension is a bad idea and order a long VGA cable, this doesn't give me the res, so I assume I've ordered the wrong cable and order this

( 3M MALE TO MALE SVGA/VGA MONITOR PC TO TFT LEAD CABLE | eBay )

Resolution refuses to max out still, drops to a silly low res ?

The only difference between the cables I can see is the Belkin is missing a pin .. but to be perfectly honest I am a complete noob with video stuff.

Can someone, please explain what I'm doing wrong ? :lease:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Some cables are no good for high resolution like 1920x1080, one I bought off ebay for 99p for example could only do lower resolutions. I think the only thing you can do is try different cables maybe? I'm not sure really

Look at the Vector video VGA image for supported resolutions, VGA is supposed to only support up to 640x480.

I think you need an SVGA cable for resolutions above 800x600 to and idealy one containing 3 individual coaxial cables for RGB (Red, Green and Blue) for a satisfactory image on cable lengths above 10ft.

Attachments

• 749px-Vector_Video_Standards2_svg.png
    749px-Vector_Video_Standards2_svg.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies .. this list appears to solve my problem ..

Code Width Height Ratio Description
QVGA 320 240 4:3 Quarter Video Graphics Array
HVGA 640 240 8:3 Half Video Graphics Array
VGA 640 480 4:3 Video Graphics Array
SVGA 800 600 4:3 Super Video Graphics Array
XGA 1024 768 4:3 Extended Graphics Array
XGA+ 1152 768 3:2 Extended Graphics Array plus
1152 864 4:3
SXGA 1280 1024 5:4 Super Extended Graphics Array
SXGA+ 1400 1050 4:3 Super Extended Graphics Array plus
UXGA 1600 1200 4:3 Ultra Extended Graphics Array
QXGA 2048 1536 4:3 Quad Extended Graphics Array

Look at the Vector video VGA image for supported resolutions, VGA is supposed to only support up to 640x480.

VGA is a specific resolution yes, but it's also the generic name for that video protocol/port/cable.

VGA is a specific resolution yes, but it's also the generic name for that video protocol/port/cable.

If I'm understanding it correctly, the quality of the cable is leading the PC to accept the monitor as basic VGA, rather than being able to detect its make/limits.

Hoping an SXGA will solve it ..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom