Resolution Issue

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by marcus2704, Apr 6, 2004.

1. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Being a HTPC newbie and after confusing myself completely by reading the info posted across this forum, I was hoping someone can answer me this.

My Plasma is a Fujitsu PDS 4229 which (according to THIS LINK) has a native resolution of 852 x 480.

AFAIK a DVD has a resolution of 720 x 480 (NTSC). Presumeably, I will need to set my desktop resolution to be as near to 720 x 480 (or the source) as possible, in my case this would be 800 x 600. Until recently, I used a desktop resolution of 1024 x 768.

Can someone explain if my thinking is right here, Im after the truest possible display. Also, is matching the resolution the same as 1:1 pixel mapping I hear people talking about here?

My Setup is...

Hardware
    Radeon 9600pro
    P4 2.6GHz
    512 DDR Ram
    80Gb SATA HDD
    connected to a 42" Fujitsu Plasma via VGA

Software
    Theatertek DVD software
    Powerstrip (default settings)
    DVD Region Free

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    1:1 mapping means you match the resolution and sometimes the refresh rate to the panel in the display. In your case thats 852x480 ( although you may find the neraest you can get is 856x480). I'm not sure about the fujitsus but a lot of the other plasmas ( and quite a few digital projectors) refresh the panel at 60Hz regardless of what you feed them.

Although this isn't the same resolution as the source ( you could argue it is in fact a match to 16x9 NTSC though).

1:1 mapping is normally the prefered way of feeding most digital panels although there are one or two exceptions.

3. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ive changed the resolution to 856 x 480 as mentioned, yet theres still a (roughly) 2 inch border around the desktop.

This also results in a bordered DVD window when using Theatertek and Letterbox option.

I have also set it to 848 x 480 and have the same border. If anyone can help me optimize my screen Id appreciate it, the manual I have is very little help.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Adjust the picture /size controls on the plasma until you see what you'd expect with that resolution.

Use the Mark Rehjon tracking and phase pattern on your desktop as guide.

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/experttips/markrejhon/calibrating_dila.html

Are you sure the panel res is 852x480 ( I thought the fujitsus were 1024x1024 or something weird )

What refresh are you using?

5. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9