Resolution for multiple (50+) dead pixels

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 65C9 has developed a large number of dead (black) pixels across the top half of the screen - it looks a bit like the bezel is uneven from a distance, but as you move closer it's clear that a large number of pixels have gone.

It's about three years old and covered under the Richer Sounds extended warranty. Their initial proposal is that they take the TV away for up to 6 weeks to assess and repair, which obviously isn't what I was looking for!

It appears that the usual resolution for a fault like this for an engineer to replace the panel onsite same day. Has anyone had any similar experience?

When I had dead pixels on my C8, I contacted Richer Sounds as it was also covered by their extended guarantee.

Initially I was told they’d put me in contact with a local repairer which could take anything up to 3 or 4 weeks.

As it’s was our only tv, I briefly thought about just buying a new one and selling on the old one when it was repaired.

In the end after contacting the local repairer, they asked for pictures of the daily, agreed it needed a new panel, ordered it in, contacted me when it was in, came to my my house (even though it was in the middle of lockdown) and swapped out the panel in around 45 minutes.

So I’d say it was certainly worth seeing if RS are going to put you in touch with a local repairer and see what they say, it may be that RS are just quoting the long timeframe to cover themselves.

When I had dead pixels on my C8, I contacted Richer Sounds as it was also covered by their extended guarantee.

Initially I was told they’d put me in contact with a local repairer which could take anything up to 3 or 4 weeks.

As it’s was our only tv, I briefly thought about just buying a new one and selling on the old one when it was repaired.

In the end after contacting the local repairer, they asked for pictures of the daily, agreed it needed a new panel, ordered it in, contacted me when it was in, came to my my house (even though it was in the middle of lockdown) and swapped out the panel in around 45 minutes.

So I’d say it was certainly worth seeing if RS are going to put you in touch with a local repairer and see what they say, it may be that RS are just quoting the long timeframe to cover themselves.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping. I've gone back to them and will see what they say.

How many dead pixels did you have? It looks like large numbers of dead pixels are quite common on these TVs. I'd never realised until I started looking into it today!

It only looked like a couple to me, but I suppose it could’ve been more, if it makes any difference they were mid-screen, about a third of the way from the bottom.

Was fully expecting a reply along the lines of “that’s within tolerance, hard luck” but once I’d sent pictures in the first place to RS and then to the repairer, it was all completely painless.

It only looked like a couple to me, but I suppose it could’ve been more, if it makes any difference they were mid-screen, about a third of the way from the bottom.

Was fully expecting a reply along the lines of “that’s within tolerance, hard luck” but once I’d sent pictures in the first place to RS and then to the repairer, it was all completely painless.

Thanks. Mine are all along the top. There may be others as well - I've always trained myself not to look for dead pixels, but these are far too obvious to ignore!

I did multiple pixel refreshes and even tried some of those YouTube things that flash all sorts of different colours across the screen.

Whether because of that or just coincidentally, mine disappeared. Thought I’d got lucky, but they came back in a couple of weeks. That’s when I got on to RS.

Once you see them, you can’t un-see them and you can’t help but look at them every time you watch tv.

I did multiple pixel refreshes and even tried some of those YouTube things that flash all sorts of different colours across the screen.

Whether because of that or just coincidentally, mine disappeared. Thought I’d got lucky, but they came back in a couple of weeks. That’s when I got on to RS.

Once you see them, you can’t un-see them and you can’t help but look at them every time you watch tv.
Yeah, I've done the manual pixel refresh twice today, but if it made any difference it wasn't noticeable.

As you say, once you see them, you'll always be looking at them so it will need to be repaired.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom