1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolution for 8mm video capture via Mini-DV

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Dune, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I about to start the process of digitizing some old 8mm (not Hi-8) tapes to my mini-dv camera.

The workflow is going to be this:

1. Digitize the 8mm tape to Mini-DV
    2. Capture the Mini-DV to the PC hard drive.
    3. Edit the footage with Windows Movie Maker.
    4. Make DVD of the edited footage by burning the edited avi file using Nero

As the tapes are not Hi-8 the resolution is much less than Mini-DV.

Therefore I was wondering what settings to use with the mini-dv camera and Windows Movie maker?

So my questions are:

When digitizing the analogue tape to the mini-dv camera, will LP be good enough?

Is there a way to capture at a lower resolution from the Mini-DV camera and if so, should I do so?

When saving the edited footage in Movie Maker what setting should I use given the destination is a DVD and the source is of an inherently lower resolution than Mini-DV?

I have noticed that the Windows Movie Maker setting of "High Quality Small" gives a setting of 320x240 which I think is still greater than the resolution of the origininal source material.

However that outputs a WMV file not an AVI file and I am not sure if Nero will accept WMV files for burning to DVD (as a DVD).

Nero will take an AVI file and burn a DVD with menus etc that will play in a normal DVD player but I am also unsure if the avi file must contain full resolution content.

I would like to save disc space during editing but not at the expense of quality.

I will also keep the footage in the mini-dv tapes as an archive.

Dave

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    IMO there is no point recording the video8 tapes before editing to a DV tape unless you want to keep an unedited digital master. This will also save time and wear & tear on the DV camcorders heads. Just use the DV cam to passthrough & digitise the analogue video to capture direct to the PC. Just set Movie Maker to standard DVcapture, but disable device control. Don't put a DV tape in the digital camcorder.
    If you do want the DV unedited masters then just do the above in 2 steps instead of the 1.

Personally I never use LP on my DV cam. Although there should be no noticeable drop in PQ, it can cause problems with error correction that can cause big problems if the tape is less than perfect. Just be aware that if you do use LP your tapes could more easily become unplayable over time, although DV tapes are good for long term archiving if looked after.

IMO you should capture from/via the DV camcorder only as AVI files. This will give the best possible quality from an already degraded source and there will therefore be no further loss of quality during the editing, and should even cause no loss when compressed to MPEG-2 for burning to DVD. WMV files are highly compressed so will use a lot less HDD space, but there will almost certainly be a further loss of quality when editing and converting to MPEG-2

Once you have done all the editing it is at this point that I would copy the timeline back to a new DV tape so that it can be recaptured to burn to another DVD disc at a later date. At least with this method you save the effort of having to redo the editing.

Mark.

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you state that analogue 8 is of lower resolution than DV you are dead right, roughly about a quarter of the picture area, however you should still transfer at full quality, think more of the eventual output than the source.

By the same token HDV users have the same dilemma in reverse, as DV is about a quarter of the 1080i standard, but who has a HD tv yet?

Incidentally, rare is the miniDV device that actually has a screen resolution of at least 576 lines, so really all miniDV devices aren;t giving you full quality.

If you cpature at ta lower resolution then either the DVD player or the TV set is going to have to so some pretty serious live upconverting if you want full-screen playback, your computer hardware will take longer but do a better job of it.

4. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had not thought of that but one reason for getting the analogue tape onto mini-dv first was time and disc space. I have a fair few 8mm tapes and not enough disc space to hold them all and I don't have the time to digitize one tape, edit it, archive it back to mini-dv tape and move onto the next one once the disc space is freed up.

OK thanks for the advice. I rarely use LP myself but was considering it for this application - but I won't bother now as I do want to use the mini-dv as an archive.

That sounds logical but I will have to decide on how quickly I need to get these tapes sorted out. I am being pestered by relatives for copies of certain tapes on DVD so I could do those first and get around to the rest at a more leisurely pace. I suppose I could always buy a bigger disc drive!

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Dave