1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolution arkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by harrisuk, May 27, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well got my pc up and running and connected to Projector. Got power strip and all the other toys to get the resolution right and.......

I cant get it working Using radeon 9800 pro my projector (ae 500) needs 1280 x 720 how can I set this in power strip. It just seems to be hooking into xp graphics settings.

I thought you could match the resolution in power strip. I am sure its something dead simple but it is doing my head in.

What do I need to do chaps ?

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Oh fudge. Found the matching option said it needed to reboot to do it safely. Now I cant see anything at all.

Take it ae 1280 x 720 aint supported bu 9800 pro.

How can this be ???

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You need to uncheck the box in the ati control panel that says hide resolutions that this monitor does not support.

If you cant see anything at all, you need to press F8 during bootup to boot in safe mode with vga driver to allow you to make the change.

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks JohnS. I got some ae500 settings for Power stip off of thread on here, put them in but the resolution does not look right, in fact the default settings for the resolution of my projector look better I think in powerstrip.

Basically its a real pain I can get it working in default resolutions and it looks great in games but crap for DVDs and in windows.

Every time I try to make any changes with power strip it wont let me run any games or anything that changes resolutions plus it stops synching.

So I have to unplug everything and take the pc downstairs, hook up to my LCD monitor so my projector will pick it up again.

Not incedibly impressed at the moment to be honest.

Its powerstrip that is causing the problems but apparently this is the only way to match the resolutions. I am told if you hold down alt whilst windows is booting upo it will disregard powerstrip settings.

Hopefully this will work as then at least I wont have to keep moving it around.

5. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just finished matching my AE500 up, and one thing that stumped me which on for hours was the position of the screen. It looked wrong even tho Powerstrip said the resolution was right.

In the end all it took was the following steps:

On the AE500, go to the menu and choose Position. Then choose Auto Setup. It flickers around for a bit and then... hey presto! All is well.

Hope this helps :)

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Gilly vould you let me have your powerstrip settings ? Do you have problems with games etc when it switches resolution? Very frustrating no wonder so few people do virtually impossible to get right

7. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will sort out the settings over the weekend - i have never worked out how people export them to clipboard, but will sort out the numbers for you. I got them by seraching google for "AE 500 powerstrip"

Flipping resolution hasn't been a problem, if the resolution in a game is say 800 x 600 then it will simply fit in the middle of the screen or stretch it (in which case hit the aspect button).

I have a LCD hooked up as the secondary display and have written a program to flip between profiles in Powerstrip, which is then hooked up to a button on my remote. All things said, Powerstrip is great - just a pain to setup.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks Gilly. I found some setting for the ae500 on the forums. They work but dont look 100% right. In fact the default powerstrip HDTV settings for this resolution look alot better. But neither are 100% right.

Will also try the auto setup feature you suggested on the ae500, the real ssue is though that when an application tries to change res the projector loses synch which is a big problem as I dont have another display in the loft. I have to take the base unit downstair and reset before I can view on the projector again.

Its very frustrating I am not a novice but its seems virtually impossible to get this setup right at the moment.