1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resizing/Rescaling MPEG and AVI files?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ~Kev H~, Jun 3, 2005.

1. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to put this in the Mobile phones section but hopefully its more relevant here.

Does anyone know how you could re-size .mpeg or .avi videos? I guess there must be some software out there that can do it (hopefully freeware) but I havent managed to find anything on google :(

Basically I'd be looking at shrinking down half hour movie's from around 220Mb down to a resolution of 220x176 pixels so they take up much less space and can be dropped onto my mobile.

Thanks in advance

Kev

2. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Kev,

I've also been looking into this and can't find many people with any knowledge on it so far. However I know that Quicktime can make the correct file types to work on my mobile Nokia 6230, and I am now waiting for QT 7 to come out for Windows and I will buy it for about $30. Learn some more here http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/3gpp/
    Hope this helps in some way and if you learn anymore please let me know !!

Cheers

DigiStuff

3. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey DigiStuff,

I did find a piece of software that does it, and it is freeware :thumbsup:

It's called TMPGEnc and you can download it here. It's quite a comprehensive bit of software but once you've had a look around at all the options its pretty self explanatory.

You have to set the output file resolution and fps, and audio quality each time you make a new file so it is worth saving a template. I also found this litte guide to making optimized MPEGs using the software here, and they have a zip file on that site with a load of templates already set up.

Be warned though the program does take a while to run, I recompressed a 220Mb file down to about 28Mb using a 224x176 pixel resolution, a low bitrate and very low quality (32kbps) sound, and it took about 45 minutes on my P4 2.0Ghz lappy :eek:

Its the sort of thing you want to leave going while you're out so I'm going to see if theres any way to queue jobs up.

Let me know how you get on.

Kev

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you also want to do some editing and don't mind spending a small amount of money then Ulead VideoStudio 9 will import mpegs and avis and has the option to output at 220 x 176