resizing question ?? your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by beachy, Dec 28, 2006.

1. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    just a question about resizing, a friend of mine asked if i could resize a few photo's for them, a couple from a old camera phone, i think it's not even 1mp, and a couple from a compact camera they had on the wrong setting ie low resolution for emailing, i've resized plenty of photos from large down to small to post on here before, but i've never resized small to large, i'm guessing it's a similar process just reversed, but if someone could point me in the right direction of workflow etc, i would be very grateful, and also what result's should i expect, i'm guessing if you go from small to large you will be somehow forcing pixels into the larger image :confused: thanks in advance :smashin:

2. meryvn

meryvn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The only advice i can give is to use Photoshop and to enlarge it in 10% steps as it seems to work a lot better. I can't quite remember the exact method you use but it is pretty simple. Though starting with a 1MP image i doubt you will get it huge.

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    You are right about doing it in reverse: In PS or Elements, You would use Image: Resize: Image Resize..: In the resize dialogue : you need to change the dimensions in pixels, inches, cm or % over what you previously had and leave the "resample image" box using bicubic ( preferably) ticked.

A bit on: Resizing

From large to small: you would be losing some of the detail, and image information ( colour range, subtle tones) in order to get a smaller sized image which still bears some semblance to the original
    Photoshop ( or Elements ) can easily do it in the resize command . there are some specific algorithms : the bicubic being one of the better ones
    Going from large to small may not "appear" to lose much because the website would use screen resolution which need much less detail than print.

From Small to large:
    Analogy: try to enlarge a postage stamp to A4 size.
    There is simply not enough resolution and detail to start with so enlargement is possible but the resulting enlargement would be achieved by making the software "manufacture or synthesise" detail which wasn't there to start with: (called interpolation).
    The resulting enlargement would look poor ( to put it nicely)
    All the imperfections will be magnified many fold and only viewing such enlargement at a distance would make it acceptable.

The reason why images from film can be so large compared to size of negative is that film is so extremely highly detailed to start with that enlargements reflect that.

4. Biscuit761

Biscuit761

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    We have a program called Genuine Fractals, seems to do a great job of enlarging pictures, not sure where it came from now though ;)

Bill

5. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    anyone know where to get this from ? i don't really want to buy another program as it's only to do about 8 photos, if there is a trial version about anywhere that would be handy ;) i'm not looking to enlarge biggger than 6x4 or less,as some are from a camera phone and just about look ok in slightly larger than passport sized photo's

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    You are right on the ball there:smashin:

I'd forgotten all about it having not come across it for a few years now.
    It is a Photoshop plug in that does a much better job of upsizing images than PS itself:
    Just done a Google and it seems to still be around .
    While it doenst seem very in expensive as such, for what it does and how often you may want to use it it is costly

7. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811

Here
    :cool: