Resistance PS3 game to use 22gb of Blu-ray disc

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Wronghole, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Wronghole

Wronghole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
  2. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Conclusively shuts up the naysayers who moaned that no game needs more than 6 or so GB of storage space.

If an early PS3 game is using this much space, imagine how much later games will be using.

3. j_s

j_s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sounds like they will need more stage space than even blu-ray can handle then ;)

4. ghost5

ghost5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    :smashin:

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,138
    Really? I was just thinking that it was to shut up the PS fans who might otherwise moan about any price premium associated with games on BD.

There is no way that a game requires that much space unless it is severely padded with FMV or some other rubbish. Resistance isn't going to be any more advanced graphically or in any other way than the equivalent PC games coming around the sametime - and they are all shipping on DVD.

6. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    :rotfl: No it doesn't. It just means that the developers haven't or can't use compression because of the access times on the BluRay discs.

Oblivion is less than 9.4GB, how any game is 22GB (must be a first for any game) is absurd.

I would hope later games would take up a lot less space because they should be used to the development tools. Because there's extra space it might be making developers lazy.

7. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    People were moaning that no game would ever use up that much space.

Now a launch window game is already using up more space than two dual layer dvd's.
    If you read the article, the guy in charge of the game said the space is used up on content.

He mentions nothing about compression.

8. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    "He mentions nothing about compression."

Which is my point.

If massive games like Oblivion can have hundreds of hours of dialog (spoken), and such a big land and huge storyline, I don't see how this can take up three times as much space.

All they seem to be doing is justifying the cost of BluRay to people, what he doesn't point out is that the 360 offers HD gaming now, without the added cost, and all the games are working perfectly fine.

"Phillips promised better, deeper support than any Xbox Live launch title."

Arrogant, great! Deeper, lovely!

All the guy does in that article is bash HD-DVD when it's not included in the 360 as a format for games. Of course he never accepts that 360 games are running fine on DVDs, but when he's getting paid off by Sony to say all that nonsense, who could blame him?

9. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I will be happy if they can get games to load QUICKER, and seemless

I HATED oblivion on the xbox360 because it had to "load" every few seconds while riding the horse across the vast countrside

"Next gen" in my mind, means NO LOADING screens. Lets hope they can use the hard drive effectively for caching etc:lease:

10. jayd

jayd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,550
    LOL 22GB and people actually think its neccessary. More than likely they are using the space because they can. Plain and simple. A game like Oblivion would probably take up more space if left uncompressed which is what they seem to have done with a slightly above average looking shooter. Do you really believe they need 22GB for such a game?

11. Cord Cutter

Cord Cutter
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,624
    Like what has been said, the game will probably be uncompressed and full of FMV's as a way of justify the price of Blue-Ray. The game probably would still be able to fit on a DVD9 if they wanted :smashin:

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    fanboys :rolleyes:

13. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,035
    At the very least the PS3 does not have to waste resource decropesing data unlike the xbox 360.

14. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    :rotfl: The PS3 has to use uncompressed data because it takes too long to uncompress compressed data, it'd make the loading times worse. So to compensate for the disc access speed, it uses (read: wastes) more space so it can work 'properly'.

15. Smak

Smak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Rubbish! :lesson:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32960

This quote is from the developer of Heveanly Sword.....

16. Crisp_Rapper

Crisp_Rapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i hope to f*** by 'content' he means actual levels... 22gb eh? i'm fully expecting maybe 50-60 levels of high grade warfare action but i know i'm gonna be getting 20 if that. seem like a lot of wasted space to me.

17. redmarkred

redmarkred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Have to agree with you there mate! Loved Oblivion on the 360 but it was ruined by the loading times which were a joke!!! Open a door....Loading.....Walk across the room open another door.....Loading.......

Both the 360 and the PS3 should be using the hard drive....PC's have for years.

It would be great if you could do a full install of the games and run them from the hard drive:smashin:

18. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    UT 2007 will probably be a whopper too...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=125925

Mark Rein:
    Unreal Tournament was 6GB compressed. Next Generation games are going to be 20GB plus, and how we're going to fit them on DVD9's I don't know, they'll probably be a few of them. On the PS3, we're going to be using the majority of the space on those Blu-ray disks.

19. Smak

Smak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Beat me to it Mickus.

Just read this on B3D....

there is a new website up btw.....

http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/OGS/GMID-018/Site/

20. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Mark neglects to mention Gears of War and the fact UT2007 will appear on 360... on a DVD. :rolleyes:

It's all PR. People hoping for miracles from Blu-ray will find that out the hard way in just a few months' time. :devil:

21. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I don't doubt they can't compress it on to DVD - but with Blu-Ray, they don't need to bother. Hardly a miracle, but one less job for the developers to worry about I supopose...

I vote we all go back to CD's!

22. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    exactly, which is why I think Bluray is a good thing. Yes, of course, these games probably don't need the extra space Blu-ray gives, but it means devs don't have to bother thinking about compression, and can spend more time fixing bugs etc

23. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Nah lets to back to cassettes :D

24. jayd

jayd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,550

Yes but it means we have to pay £10 more for a game just and the developer has LESS work to do. Where's the fairness in that.

Why is it everyone thinks anything bad is an attack on the PS3 itself? It's not. I've had the Sony machines in the past and whilst I admit I wont be getting a launch PS3 due to the price I will get one when the price drops.

Blue Ray is nothing but an attempt by Sony to push their movie format, it's got nothing to do with the games at all. I'm really suprised people can't see that. The PS3 is very capable of playing games on DVD and this could have been the norm for Sony to set, but if they did they could never justify the price of the machine they are only trying to get as many Blue Ray players into homes as possible.

To break it down if you are interested in High Def movies the PS3 is an absolute bargain at it's price. But if your a soley a gamer it's an absolute rip off and you are subsidising Sony's attempt at being the dominant force in High Def movies.

I know this will get shot down as fan boy nonsense but any level headed individual can see it's only the truth I am talking.

25. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    It's all very well being non compressed, butpeople seem to forget that the PS3 BR drive is actually SLOWER than the DVD drive in the 360 at loading data... not a l;ot, but it is slower... these games are huge and uncompressed... it would take LESS time to have them compressed and decompress on the fly rather than not use compression. I know, I know... they use the HD... well, it has to load it on to it first... and resistance uses 22 gb.... well, that means over a 3rd of your 60 gig drive, or more than the total of your 20 gig drive, not allowing for any other content on it or the OS...
    It will be interesting to see how it works in practise...

Oh, and on oblivion... the pc version has loading screens on every room etc too... only difference is the open areas are slightly faster at loading...

26. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Let's hope they use some kind of streaming technology from both HDD & drive simutaneously...with just map data cached.

27. j_s

j_s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It really doesn't bother me if they use up so much space, but, I just hope the games are good regardless. Resistance with it's high def, 40 players online etc etc might just be an absolute steaming pile of c.rap. It seems that any game coming out on the PS3 that looks reasonably ok everyone says how amazing it will be, the same thing happens on 360 games.

I'm trying to talk the missus round to not minding me have yet another box under my TV, it's proving difficult at the moment :rotfl:

28. Kahled

Kahled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Erm how is this a good thing?

In modern architectures like a console or PC the DVD/BR/HD-DVD is the slowest component and potentially, if not very cleverly addressed, a real bottleneck. Blocks of memory can be moved very quickly in and out of CPU, GPU, etc but at a dramatically slower rate from disk, hard disks improve that obviously because of their quicker loading times.

22GB is frankly a ridiculous size for a game, and having to shift that much (okay in chunks) off of a slow by comparrison BR disk is a nightmare scenario, not a good thing. Modern processors are reaching incredible performance levels and decompression algorythms are so advanced that it is just ridiculous not to use them, that after all should be where the strength of the cell processor would shine. Massive PC games do not even come close to that simply because there is no need, the components are far better exploited with having to rely on smaller chunks of data being transferred around and the individual processors uncompressing.

This is fishy, very fishy. And when a developer rather than stating any benefits from the reasons of it being that size elects instead to concentrate on the fact that single-layer HD-DVD could not hold that much (when HD-DVD is already quite happily pumping away at dual-layer) well it sets the old alarms ringing.

BR (single layer) can hold 25GB, excellent. Does it need to for a game, no.

It will be interesting if such a cludgey way of implementing a game actually provides any advantage, it just seems such a backwards step and hugely inefficient... weird.

29. criggy

criggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    This isn't as bad as people think............

The equivilent PS2 game would be 1.3GB.How many PS2 games are bigger?

In other news, a "big update" is coming very, very soon.:thumbsup:

30. ghost5

ghost5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    well whatever happens as long as the games are good and not overpriced i wont be bothered.

i can see the BR disk being important for the future for gaming but only with a faster drive.

at the moment i can not see many game companies using the full potential of the BR disk due to the 360 being limited to disk size. There aren't that many top games that are only released on the Playstations or X-Boxes and therefore independant companies will produce games that will be able to run on both machines.

In 4 to 5 years time though I can see the 360 games coming on 2 or more disks and the PS3 games still on the one BR disk.