Question Resillient Bar and Skim Plaster

xxGBHxx

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Simple question.

I have a Genie Clip suspended ceiling. It's been acoustic sealed at the sides and seems to be working fine. I want to skim plaster it but do I need to leave a gap around the edge where the acoustic sealent is? It seems logical in my head to do so but it means masking the entire ceiling. If I didn't leave a gap, doesn't it bridge this layer of skim plaster to the wall creating a way for the sound to travel and bypass my suspended ceiling? Can't find anything online other than references to skimming a resilient bar ceiling.

The ceiling goes from wall edge to wall edge. I have to stud wall 2 of the walls which I've sttached to the wall below the ceiling and then where it braces against the ceiling I've left about 1/2cm gap and used acoustic ceilant to "glue" the baton to the ceiling. I'm assuming this will still allow the ceiling to flex and doesn't bridge anything?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

G

I am doing something similar, but I have 2 stud walls that have genie clips and rails as well.
I have to admit I hadn't thought of this. You could run a slimline stop bead all the way around the ceiling and leave about 2 mm gap between ceiling plaster coat and wall.
Something like this.
Wickes Thin Coat Stop Bead 3mm x 3m | Wickes.co.uk
Once the plastering is done then run the acoustic sealant around the ceiling to fill the 2mm gap and paint over. I don't think it matters if the paint bridges the ceiling and wall.

So long as the board is decoupled from the studwork I don't see that it matters if the board on the wall touches the board of the ceiling. It's the same junction as you'd get with two walls at an internal corner.

I am doing something similar, but I have 2 stud walls that have genie clips and rails as well.
I have to admit I hadn't thought of this. You could run a slimline stop bead all the way around the ceiling and leave about 2 mm gap between ceiling plaster coat and wall.
Something like this.
Wickes Thin Coat Stop Bead 3mm x 3m | Wickes.co.uk
Once the plastering is done then run the acoustic sealant around the ceiling to fill the 2mm gap and paint over. I don't think it matters if the paint bridges the ceiling and wall.

Thats not a bad idea but I'd be slightly worried about getting a clean finish. I'll speak to the plasterer and see what he can do. Good thought though.

So long as the board is decoupled from the studwork I don't see that it matters if the board on the wall touches the board of the ceiling. It's the same junction as you'd get with two walls at an internal corner.

So why do they "mandate" leaving a 3-4mm gap around the edge and sealing it with acoustic sealent if that's the case? I don't doubt you, but the whole point of using acoustic mastic is that it has some give in it to alow the ceiling to flex. Plaster is rigid and doesn't share that quality so I'm not sure what effect it would have, hence the question. I think I'll ring up a friendly soundproofing company tomorrow and ask a polite question see if they just ignore it or have some other method.

G

Search me. I couldn't find anything in British Gypsum's Site Book with regard to the wall/ceiling joint when both were using resilient bar.

I assume the sealant is suggested because they're assuming that coving will be used.

XxGBHXx and SeriousPigeon, what was the outcome from your plastering.. did you plaste to the edge or didn't you plaster leaving a gap and use the acoustic mastic around the edge? Did the sound proofing work with what you did? Many thanks

I did phone up and speak to a soundproofing company and they had never been asked the question before and didn't consider it an issue. In the professional installs they did, they plastered up to the wall and hadn't really considered it an issue. So in the end I just plastered up to the edge of the wall and over the top of the acoustic mastic. It SEEMS to work (there is very very little sound transference through the floor) but as I don't have anything to compare it to I can't comment whether it's working as it's supposed to.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom