1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

residual image

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by G Canavan, Jan 8, 2004.

1. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having forked out over 3 grand of hard erned cash for a hitachi 42pd3000 of which I was well pleased, I thought the perfect add on would be sky+, big mistake. After only a few days use I started to notice lines left on the screen, even though I used the screen every few hours. The lines are caused by the menu bar and its permanent. Until sky+ has a transparancy setting for its menus I would'nt connect one to a plasma. Anyone else found this fault it shows up in the screen wipe.

2. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No I have the 42PMA400E and have SKY+, been using it for a few weeks and no such problem. Once when I have just got the screen the red dot left a residual image, but only for a minute or two! What contrast setting are you using? You should turn it down from the very high default setting.

3. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42pd3000 and sky+ and have had no problems with permanent burn-in from the menus. Admittedly if I have had the menu up for a while and then switch channel it is just about visible for a minute or two, but soon clears.

Do you have very high contrast settings and/or have left it on the menu screen for a long time? (over night for example). I always turn my plasma off before I go to bed to make sure it's not accidentally activated and ends up showing a static image all night, although I imagine the risk of that happening is quite small.

4. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The contrast was set at medium, and all other images such as channel logos and those annoying red dots were all easly removed with the screen wipe. But as they all tend to be different sizes shapes and at different levels of transparency they don't pose a problem. I have never left it on all night and never leave it on standby not when youve spent that kind of money. The problem is the menu bar at the bottom of the screen,it comes every time you change channel and stays on for a few seconds and if like me you channel hop those seconds add up. It's those hard sharp horizontal lines that have left there mark. You can only see them when the screen turn a light colour as in a snow scene or using the screen wipe.But like a scratch on a new car you notice every you get in it, every time I watch my screen all I seem to see is the faint outline of a sky+ menu.

5. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've had my 42PD300 for about a week now. I was using the PC on it for about half an hour and had a bit of an image left then. Using the screen wipe for about 30 seconds(!) cured that tho.
    Last night I fell asleep at the end of 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' I woke up about 5 hours later and the DVD was on the main menu, so I turned the DVD off and the image was still there! Took about 5 minutes with the screen wipe to get rid of it!

6. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Anyone know how to find out how meny hours of use this plasma has had?

7. dogma6

dogma6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I thought you could change the timing of the sky menu bar so it disappear's almost straight away when changing channels!

This may help

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've had Sky+ connected to a 42PD3000 for about 3 months now and haven't had any problems - this is even after having channels like Boomerang (which has a very bright statis logo) on for over an hour.

I've had contrast set at around 33% since day one.

John

9. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always leave my plasma in standby, I thought this was the better method rather than switch it on/off all the time. Like a lightbulb which always blows when you first turn it on, figured standby was easier on the plasma?