• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City (Dec 4th 2021)

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Screen Gems have announced a reboot of lucrative but not critically acclaimed franchise. Paul WS Anderson's involvement is unknown at this time.

Last edited:

theprestige

Prominent Member
I was one of those who grew up on the games. Resident Evil 2, like Metal Gear Solid, was instrumental in the way I viewed video games. They were superb and still very playable today.

As a film, Resi doesn't have much to offer as it was already inspired by the Romero films, though you wouldn't know that watching Paul WS Anderson's (who I actually quite like) take on them.

I had always fantasised about making a Resi film that's truer to the tone of the games, but that's past now, and I actually think there is a lot to be done with an adaptation of Dead Space, which I was less interested in as a game, but feel that it would translate better into a film, at least the type of film I can imagine.

caz2005

Prominent Member
I think the problem is that whilst the games were scary to play they were incredibly cheesy, too much so for it to translate well to the big screen.

I remember whilst playing Resi2, me and a mate jumping out of our seats but it was because my cat decided to jump on us from the corner unit!:laugh:

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Only decent RE film was second one, first one was utter **** pretty much **** all happens for an hour of the film, get a little doggie scene for 5 minutes and big bad guy shows up at end of film for all of 2 minutes.

3 was crap and didn't bother with the rest, I still watch the second one every now and then though.

Leo31291

Distinguished Member
They're instantly forgettable films but I think the first two were at least watchable as pop corn flicks. These are the type of Ips which should get remade rather than old classics.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
First Resident Evil was absolute dog crap and I regret seeing it in the cinema, second one I thought id pass on considering the first and I regret not seeing that in the cinema. Didn't see the third in the cinema but only lasted about 20-30m into it then just gave up the rest of them.

Only one I enjoyed was the second.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
First Resident Evil was absolute dog crap and I regret seeing it in the cinema, second one I thought id pass on considering the first and I regret not seeing that in the cinema. Didn't see the third in the cinema but only lasted about 20-30m into it then just gave up the rest of them.

Only one I enjoyed was the second.

I saw the 2nd in the cinema and enjoyed a lot. I like Sienna Guillory as Jill. :)

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
I saw the 2nd in the cinema and enjoyed a lot. I like Sienna Guillory as Jill. :)
Yeah its one of my biggest regrets but after the massive disappointment of the first I didn't want to waste my money, something I really regret.

The first one was a joke, pretty much 70m of nothing, a minute of dogs and big baddie shows up in last what 5 minutes and is taken care of in about 1 minute.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Yeah its one of my biggest regrets but after the massive disappointment of the first I didn't want to waste my money, something I really regret.

The first one was a joke, pretty much 70m of nothing, a minute of dogs and big baddie shows up in last what 5 minutes and is taken care of in about 1 minute.

To be honest, I don’t mind the first one either. I remember liking parts of III also but everything after that was rinse and repeat.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Set for September 9, 2021.

Hannah John-Kamen, Kaya Scodelario, Robbie Amell, Tom Hopper, Donal Logue and Avan Jogia will star in the film

Last edited:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
It's a wrap!

EqbiuKyUcAAUq0h.jpg

Leo31291

Distinguished Member
If its half as good of a reboot as the games we're in for a treat.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Hope its better than Resident Evil was.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom