Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Resident Evil is available on 4K Ultra HD+Blu-ray™ from 7th February 2023.

Do you mean it's available from 7th of February 2022?
Thank you cor the review...looks like pure popcorn fodder.

This is a fair review of the movie. I had fun with it but that’s because I’m such a fan of the games. I’m glad to hear the picture quality is top notch though. I look forward to having it in my collection.

Big fan of the RE games, but this is yet another shocking effort at a film 😱

The film was fine. Mindless fun for fans of the original games. It as hardly Doom (either attempt) levels of bad.

Only the most hardcore fans should even think of buying the disc though.

Why Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City is almost the best videogame-to-movie adaptation ever. A TED talk by Tom Davies...

Yeah this stunk like zombie entrails.

I admired the wanting to “stick to the games” but then hated how they didn’t do that at all!

The cast, while all pretty, was really bad. And as for what they’ve done to Leon…wow!

Oh poo and I was looking forward to this ! I like the other cheesy movies but this movie sounds bad . However as long as it’s got blood, zombies and creatures I will probably be happy ….. hopefully!

Not a great movie, 4/10 and that's being generous for some of the fan service. There's little plot, no character development and you really don't care about any of them. The original at least had the plot reveal at the end to make it more interesting and gave you some characters to like.

It never fails to amaze me, given how open the world of the Resident Evil games is, that the makers of this decided to basically use some cosplayer's costumes to film the game's cut scenes instead of maybe bringing in fresh characters and building on that world.

To be fair, they did work in the Jill sandwich line without being groan-worthy.

I'll probably pick this up when it inevitably goes in one of those 2 for £20 deals online.

I cannot understand how they keep messing up game to film adaptations like this. The original Resident Evil movie while nothing like the game, was at least entertaining in an early 2000's kinda way. The sequels just went further and further down a rabbit hole to become something completely different.

This version, while closer in look and story to the game comes across like a low budget, fan made project with amateur actors. From what I gather the script is really poor too.

There was an episode of The Walking Dead from season 9 called 'Evolution' where the group get cornered in a cemetery on a misty night surrounded by walkers and whisperers, not knowing which was which. That episode had so much tension and atmosphere, it was like a scene from like RE: Code Veronica brought to life and it was terrifying, exactly how zombie horror should be.

Silent Hill did manage to retain the oppressive look and feel of the game and is probably one of the better film adaptations, it's just so bleak.

I think the way to make Resident Evil work on film is to take the characters, story and plot and transpose that into a real world setting, rather than a fictional one. Make the whole thing more grounded and believable to begin with, with more realistic versions of the characters. Sure there would have to be some changes but I think Marvel took the same approach when adapting comic book characters for the big screen.

Then when it gets to the horror element it will feel more real. These are real people in unreal situations, something The Walking Dead has mostly done well and also Black Summer too.

Still a good movie compared to all that garbage being released these days.

...and no, RESIDENT EVIL 1 with Jovovich was still a disaster and yes, this one is better.

I even think all the RE-sequels were better than the stinking first one.

Finally got round to seeing this now its on Sky. Went in with low expectations given the general reviews - but pleased to say I was pleasantly surprised.
Everything I expected from a RE movie and closer ties to the original game than any of the other films - that just seemed to go further and further up its own ar*e.

I thought there were some good cheesy scares, more violence than the prior films and liked the location settings from the game. Took me back the 20 odd years since I played the game.

As much as I enjoyed the original RE film (which for me was the best of the 26 films that followed) I think I prefer this version to the original and I’d happily watch it again.

Highlight was the close-quarters gun fire in the dark room - especially on my OLED.

Was a fun watch and a solid 7/10 from me!

absolute cac

Buy the 4k disc if you can much better picture and sound,great nights entertainment.
Thank me later .

Buy the 4k disc if you can much better picture and sound,great nights entertainment.
Thank me later .
does it have better acting and dialogue too? if not, you can await your thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom