Resident Evil Village Review & Comments

How long did you take to complete the game Ian? I'm hearing around 9-11 hours to finish. I know I did RE7 in just under 12 hours.

so glad I don't have VR hahaha. Don't really do scary games but played most of the other RE games.
Indeed! From any rational perspective, sitting in a genuinely heightened state of anxiety with an almost constant turtle-head is NOT entertainment...

How long did you take to complete the game Ian? I'm hearing around 9-11 hours to finish. I know I did RE7 in just under 12 hours.
My final save point was clocked at just over 10 and a half hours. I am quite a slow and steady player who likes to explore every corner of the map - so 9 to 11 sounds about fair. It is possible to speed run it so you might hear people boasting of much lower times (there's an achievement/trophy for beating the game in under three hours) but that's missing out on half the fun/terror!

I’m about 3 hours in and loving it. Played a lot of games in lockdown and only a few have really kept me coming back this being one of them. Nothing better than waiting for the wife and kids all to be in bed and switch the lights out, put the headphones on and be scared out of my wits for a few hours 😭

I’m about 3 hours in and loving it. Played a lot of games in lockdown and only a few have really kept me coming back this being one of them. Nothing better than waiting for the wife and kids all to be in bed and switch the lights out, put the headphones on and be scared out of my wits for a few hours 😭
I remember being so scared playing Dead Space I stopped playing it and have not gone back :D

Looking forward to playing this though should be fun. Though I think whenever anyone mentions Village I'll immediately have this come to mind

tormund-brienne.jpg

That's the RE2 renake for me. Still haven't finished it haha. It's the distant groaning and screeching female zombies that creep me out the most wearing headphones in a dark room.

Beautiful and very atmospheric though walking through the station.

Can people who have finished it comment on how much of it is running away and hiding like in RE7, got bored of having to hide from the guy in the house, then the woman in the videotapes and then the guy again.

Thanks.

Can people who have finished it comment on how much of it is running away and hiding like in RE7, got bored of having to hide from the guy in the house, then the woman in the videotapes and then the guy again.

Thanks.

not much of that at all. Very different game and lots of action.

Thanks.
As NoahDavid says, there's barely any hiding this time. There are a few instances where you need to avoid tough enemies (such as Lady Dimitrescu who roams freely around the Castle) but you're much faster this time around and can outrun most of them. You can be stealthy if you want (or at least take cover while you plan your next move) but it's certainly nothing like Biohazard in that respect.

i had hoped that there would mention of dolby atmos in the xbox version. How does it sound ?

I may veer into slight spoiler territory here. But I’m mostly discussing how the demo compares to the final game.

Finished my first playthrough last night.

I enjoyed it overall, it’s what I was hoping for - a modern take on the RE4 classic action game, less emphasis on horror. I enjoyed RE7 too, but that was a bit too stressful for me!

My only real disappointment is I felt like the demo was a lie. Earlier trailers showed you finding an old man, with a shotgun, in his house. That is in the game still, so that gave me the expectation that in this village there would be other local villagers in their homes. The demo emphasises this further with your interaction with the woman and her injured father, where he turns into a werewolf in the house. That’s it, there’s nothing else like that in the full game - a demo to me is supposed to give you a sense of what’s to come. Beyond that you just get the regular enemies and boss encounters in the full game.

I think I only find this lack of residents in the village disappointing, purely because the voice acting and performance capture is so well done. It’s a shame the villagers only really served as the opening sequence for the game. I was really expecting scared villagers to be integrated more into the gameplay loop. Like helping them with some task and they give you some useful items, or some item to progress the story.

It reminds me a little of Metal Solid Solid V in some ways, great production values, but something that ultimately doesn’t really feel fully realised to its full potential.

At least that’s my takeaway. It was pretty fun for what it is though.

Last edited:
i had hoped that there would mention of dolby atmos in the xbox version. How does it sound ?
It can certainly add to the atmosphere brilliantly - and/or terrifyingly. In a game like this I find that it's not so much contextual or about 3D awareness as it is about that imminent threat you can't see, and so having those creepy sounds of near-distant screams and scrapes bouncing around, or 'feeling' the growling of something big and nasty lurking in the bushes, even if you can't pinpoint the direction, can definitely add an extra layer of menace.

For what turned out to be a free game it was enjoyable but definitely a bit on the short side, if it was say 10 hours longer I might have kept hold of it.8/10
It's a fair point, and certainly good reason to think at least twice before paying anything like full price for the game. However, I have found plenty of value in replaying the campaign and chasing down all of the achievements and other in-game Challenges.

Smashing through it on Casual was a lot more fun, or at least less stressful, while constantly upgrading weapons such as the SYG-12 shotgun and STAKE Magnum which are crazy good when maxed out, especially with unlimited ammo! My last couple of playthroughs have been knife-only and a speed run (2 hrs 15 mins!), which are much easier when you know what you're doing. In total I've clocked more than 30 in-game hours and still have a Village of Shadows difficulty run left... if I can bear it...

Loving this, been away from the franchise for years and this is just the right blend of the original's haunted house terror and Resi 4's outdoor horror action. Up to the factory level now.

The big lady in the castle freaked me out (reminded me of It Follows), but I almost literally crapped my pants at the doll-house level.

Only just got round to playing this but I thought it pretty average at best really, at least 1/3rd of the game is cutscenes and whilst you don't have to run around and hide so much as in RE7 there is lots of pointless running around, no puzzles or ingenuity required.

I don't think there's even 2hrs of actual gameplay be had.

Resident Evil 4 was the stinker in the original series and they seem to have gone back to that for some reason.

Hopefully the silent hill remake comes out soon as the resident evil series keeps getting worse and worse.

5/10 for the graphics.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom