Resident Evil Superbit.

kevb

Established Member
Reaction score
Columbia will be adding three more titles to the lineup on 17/12, Resident Evil, Heavy Metal 2000 and The Who's Tommy. Each features an anamorphic widescreen presentation of the film, Dolby Digital and DTS tracks, and no extras.

I think ill end up getting resident evil, despite many reports of it being awful!

ad

It's not that bad, mighty fine sounding and looking just a bit lacking in the tension and script department.

Kevb has it spot on. It's an above average action flick with some nice set pieces. The end CGI effect work is poor but otherwise it's perfectly acceptable Saturday night popcorn fodder :)

It helps if you have a brief idea of what the game was about too, makes the film's plot a little easier to make sense of.

I've never had a sniff of the game and I really liked it.

I seem to recall there's a DTS region 3 disc available pretty cheap. Can't remember how much though.

I wouldn't call it above average, I think it was decidedly average.

The zombies were useless (people with bad complexions not terrifying chunks of rotting flesh), the cast terrible (especially the dreadful Michelle Rodriguez), the script mindnumbling stupid (it made the original game's cript sound good) and the CGI big bad was pathetic (looked like something out of Jason and the Argornaunts).:eek: I thought Marilyn Manson's score was going to be one of the film's high points, but that too was useless.

Originally posted by James45
I wouldn't call it above average, I think it was decidedly average.

Take a look at your local DVD rental store, compare RE to the wealth of straight to DVD/Video 'action' flicks (can you believe Dolph Lundgren is still making films?!?) and I'd say it's better than those.

It's above average, although I would suggest that the average is pretty bad!

Ah you mean the staple diet of Channel 5 viewers:) yes if you take those into account then Resi Evil is average (I must say I usually disregard straight to video stuff... bit snobby maybe) and hey you see Milla Jovovich in the buff so it can't be that bad!:D

I really liked Manson's score it's the creepiest thing about the film. Manson admits in an interview he has put frequencies into the score that **** with your mind and sphincter, it works as well up to a certain point. Just try watching it when you have all your Gallo's and the sub James, it a well above average film sonically.

The problem with the zombies was they had not been dead long enough.Too fresh IMO. Also far from enough gore was in the film which is down more to the studio wanting to mass market the film with an R rating in the states.

I think Anderson has a great film in him somewhere. Event Horizon was a reasonable film that showed great promise. With RE you can't knock his vision, flair with the images and the use of the camera work, it's just his script which is a problem. I'm not scared to admit I found the film fairly tense, up until the access to the red queens chamber (made me jump out of my skin at a few points) after which all the tension went out of the film. Maybe if he had someone other than himself write his films he could come up with a winner.

Originally posted by kevb
I really liked Manson's score it's the creepiest thing about the film. Manson admits in an interview he has put frequencies into the score that **** with your mind and sphincter, it works as well up to a certain point. Just try watching it when you have all your Gallo's and the sub James, it a well above average film sonically.

I was hoping for creepy and disturbing but all I got out of it was crunching metal guitars, reminded me of Anthrax's silly score for the Ghosts of Mars. Waiting for an amp to power my lovely gallos is starting to bug me, but I've blown my wallet into pieces with my recent purchases.

The problem with the zombies was they had not been dead long enough.Too fresh IMO. Also far from enough gore was in the film which is down more to the studio wanting to mass market the film with an R rating in the states.

I think they should have made them rot quicker and blamed it as an effect of the T-virus.

If think Anderson has a great film in him somewhere. Event Horizon was a reasonable film that showed great promise. With RE you can't knock his vision, flair with the images and the use of the camera work, it's just his script which is a problem. I'm not scared to admit I found the film fairly tense, up until the access to the red queens chamber (made me jump out of my skin at a few points) after which all the tension went out of the film. Maybe if he had someone other than himself write his films he could come up with a winner.

I thought Event Horizon was a much better film than Resi Evil (mind you he did have Lawrence Fishburne and Sam Neill to work with then), it had too much of a high tech, surgical feel and not enough smelly old mansion. Loved the laser chamber. I think he may get it right in the sequel tho.

to be perfectly honest i wasnt expecting anything from this film maybe thats why i thought it ok if you had a lot of hopes built up then your out of luck.personnaly i think the zombie an slasher movies have had there day they shouldnt even make them anymore jason x being a perfect example .nobody is fooled by the fella who can be bombed,set on fire,drowned etc anymore it just to unbelievable.a friend has a load of banned horrors etc an they are laughable absolutely shocking so on that premise id say resident evil was better than average :D

slasher films are dead as dead... but someone could make a decent zombie film if they put some effort in. Watching RE I can't believe anyone thought about what they were doing when they made it.

Originally posted by James45
slasher films are dead as dead... but someone could make a decent zombie film if they put some effort in.

Poor slasher films are dead as dead but GOOD ones needn't have to be. It's not a totally straight slasher but next week's release of 'My Little Eye' will put some kick back into the horror/fright genre.

As for zombie films, they are having a bit of a resurgence at the moment... although until directors and make-up artists get back to prosthetics and 'real' special effects, they're never going to rival the classics of the 70s and 80s.

Originally posted by juboy
but next week's release of 'My Little Eye' will put some kick back into the horror/fright genre.

Sounds a bit rude if you ask me:D

but you're right about the benefits of make-up and prosthetics over CGI... how can you be scared of something which is obviously not there.

Do you think we could get this on the buy 2 get 1 free?! ;)

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom