Resident Evil (Netflix) Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

Ohh well, I just replied on the Netflix ad based subscription thread that shows like this are the very reason they even have to consider that model.
As a fan of science fiction and postapocalitic games I AM SURE I can do a better job.
If my previous sentence is making you laugh, then you know how bad this show is. I am amazed how some of these people call themselves actors. I was thinking you go to school to learn how to impersonate, transmit emotions, get into your character's skin, be the darn character while cameras are rolling. I guess I was wrong.
Avoid please, do yourself a favour.

Everyone is really angry, all they have to do is use the characters from the games and follow a high level of the story and it would be a huge hit.

I honestly couldn’t remember the game or the films so pretty much went into this blind.

Apart from the awful CGI with the dog I’m enjoying it and about to watch episode 7 & 8

Maybe someone should make a Resi show which actually follows the events of the games. Start with Resi Zero and go from there. Same characters, same settings, same story.

They've kind of just done that with the recent film. Inclusive of Resi 1 and 2 anyway. I quite enjoyed it spotting the easter eggs along the way.

I'm not really feeling this though to be honest, but I'll stick it on the list for a rainy day.

so i use an app called gameye, it has my sealed resident evil collection around the £25k mark.
what im getting at is im a huge resident evil fan, the biggest, if this show is not for me, which it really is not, then who is it for? the watch anything mindless popcorn channel flickers?

@Jimmy Grease could you tell me more about your 25k collection, I'm a huge fan. I'm 42, so I grew up playing RE1 and others so its hugely sentimental to me.

There is a fan remake, of RE1 which I'm sure you have seen the trailer for the game which looks amazing!!.... My dream is to enter that mansion one day, after being chased by the dogs, but via "VR"

:)

gave up on ep 3. not only is the main character stupid and unlikeable, the writing is just ridiculous and lazy. huge injuries that have no effect the next scene. hi-tech labs that have zero security at all. gunshot wounds that provoke only a humourous quip. the design is beautiful, the monsters look good, and are completely wasted. the Chunnel sequence could have been superb, but yet again, monsters that obliterate elite soldiers in moments get to the main character and...just snarl at her.

I thought in the first 4 episodes the main character Jade was fortunate she came with full body plot armour otherwise she wouldn't have made it to the middle of episode 1 in anything other than the flashbacks

Was looking forward to this and will likely give it a go but my expectations have now been drastically reduced.

Another thing that almost made turn it off from the very start:
You go out to attract zombies and study them. You know they love the scent of blood, and that is what you use as bait, but, for a very stupid stupid reason you do not check your hideout for things that can make you bleed.......

I watched Resident Evil more out of curiosity than anything else, the first impressions made me think that it's production values could have been that little bit better, it's all in the detail, and not just scattering dirt and rusting shipping containers around a commercial frontage. There are plenty of examples of post apocalyptic studio prop architecture which probably cost less to make but exhibited more imagination for effect than that used in this show.
The CGI was quite exceptional for some scenes but then looked budget elsewhere, which I guess is the norm nowadays with different FX companies involved, but some CGI consistency would have been appreciated just to provide some visual continuity in what is a disjointed screenplay about some diverse characters who really would not survive long in any reality.
Overall I suspect this show will be earmarked for renewal by Netflix for producing local content if nothing else (as it's made in South Africa), and it is a popular franchise title, but for fans of this horror genre it looks like a creative opportunity missed, which is a shame.

They've kind of just done that with the recent film. Inclusive of Resi 1 and 2 anyway. I quite enjoyed it spotting the easter eggs along the way.

I'm not really feeling this though to be honest, but I'll stick it on the list for a rainy day.
I thought that recent film was crap.

it's production values could have been that little bit better,

Yeah, there's no getting around the fact it looks cheap as heck.
I mean, that's fine. I don't need everything to look Game of Thrones. And they're certainly going to be careful when it comes to budgeting RE stuff after Racoon City didn't exactly break any records.

I thought that recent film was crap.
There's a good reason for that...

I liked it , great performances , extremely well lit and staged for a netflix pulp series and I'm quite glad they didn't get regurgitate the same old resident evil umbrella corp shenanigans. Don't get the criticisms of the cgi , its better than most of the embarrassing junk in films so far.

Its a bit cookie cutter in the old post apocalyptic zombie infested wasteland stakes but hey its Resident Evil at the end of the day.

Compare with the utterly awful and forgettable Halo series and this is supremely more enjoyable.
Plot armour ...come on its Resident Evil , you had Milla jumping around like a ninja when she could barely walk around a table in real life.

Alice was enhanced by the T-virus.

I watched esp1. It's pretty gash.

resident-evil.png

Hard pass.

Well I watched the trailer and I'm not surprised. If it looks like a jobby and smells like a jobby, it is most likely a jobby.

il just reiterate, its not for people who like and activly play resident evil, its for the, netflix "ooohhhh This looks good" crowd. just fro mthe casting you can tell its for the wider audiance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom