Resident Evil 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Morden

Resident Evil films are my guilty pleasure, i like all of them. I played the games too.

But would agree 1st one was the best, 2nd one was good and last one the worst.

Would still watch again on 4k.

Though my favourite film by Paul WS Anderson is Event Horizon, a cross between Alien, Hellraiser and Flatliners, with Sam Neil, Laurence Fishbourne, Joely Richardson, Jason Issacs and Sean Pertwee.
It never got a 4k disk release, but is on 4K on Apple tv.

I will probably buy resident evil films, again on 4k, but might just get the apple one if its cheap again.

Last edited:

Jessica Noir

I've always had a soft spot for the the Resident Evil films and it was specular to see the work gone into the transfer and the remixed atmosphere audio is demo worthy. while the quality of the franchise is not going to be troubling the Criterion Collection any time soon, I really do think the fifth film, Retribution is way better than it's given credit for. Even the BFI listed it in one of their top ten lists on sci-fi horror films.

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas,

For the time and type of film I have always thought this was pretty decent. Solid 7.5/10 imo.

Then again Milla might have something to do with that, Fell in love with her in TFE :love:

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Resident Evil films are my guilty pleasure, i like all of them. I played the games too.

Though my favourite film by Paul WS Anderson is Event Horizon, a cross between Alien, Hellraiser and Flatliners, with Sam Neil, Laurence Fishbourne, Joely Richardson, Jason Issacs and Sean Pertwee.

I will probably buy resident evil films, again on 4k, but might just get the apple one if its cheap again.

Agree. Love Event Horizon. That score by Orbital is tremendous too. Can't believe they teased a longer cut for so long and then basically said 'nah, doesn't exist after all'. Interesting that it's in 4K on Apple, I'd pick up the disc if they ever released it, but seems a stretch... maybe a boutique label.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I've always had a soft spot for the the Resident Evil films and it was specular to see the work gone into the transfer and the remixed atmosphere audio is demo worthy. while the quality of the franchise is not going to be troubling the Criterion Collection any time soon, I really do think the fifth film, Retribution is way better than it's given credit for. Even the BFI listed it in one of their top ten lists on sci-fi horror films.

Let's see if I make it that far when doing these 4K releases, I'd be interested to see if there's any that fare better on a further rewatch. I can't say that the final film didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth though, which made some of the convolutions in the preceding entries even less worthwhile.

rhino2k

Distinguished Member

Some great films on that list, Especially Demon Seed.
Maybe I will give RE5 another go :)

Gambit1977

Mine too! I've got the Blu boxed set, the dvds (of most) and the itunes 4K versions, yet I know I want this in my life

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
Ok thanks, done. £3.99 too. Money well spent, particularly if Sod's law now dictates that they must release it on disc.
If they do perhaps we will see some for of extended edition? Could be keeping it quiet.
Wishful thinking I suspect :p

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
If they do perhaps we will see some for of extended edition? Could be keeping it quiet.
Wishful thinking I suspect :p

Never going to happen now. Like so many work prints / 'lost cuts' from that era, they're talked about a lot, but nobody has ever put their hands on them.

Anderson said he'd found someone with a copy "in Europe" but hadn't even seen it yet, which was why it fell through on the last 'collector's edition' Blu-ray release, which wasn't that long ago IIRC.

It's a shame, it's still a cult classic watch, but it is flawed and I do wonder what a longer cut would have looked like.

As an aside, I do wonder what the Resident Evil franchise would have been like had Anderson actually directed the first couple of sequels. They're hardly bad films - I too quite enjoy the second in particular - but they do kinda set the tone for the style-over-substance insanity that would inform the rest of the series. It's hard to have that hindsight though because, these days you probably wouldn't wish any franchise to have more Anderson involvement.

Buckster666

Love the RE movies, big, loud, dumb fun and part 4 is awesome in 3D

Russ 66

Seen all the RE films, bar the first they are pretty crap. Agree on Event Horizon, really good film and cast. I also really liked Soldier, I don't think that gets enough respect, it's like Pale Rider in space.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Seen all the RE films, bar the first they are pretty crap. Agree on Event Horizon, really good film and cast. I also really liked Soldier, I don't think that gets enough respect, it's like Pale Rider in space.

I have a soft spot for Soldier, I can totally get a Western vibe. I know it had some ostensible Blade Runner connections (which, if you squint sideways, you could possibly see with the old/new 'models') but, for me, it feels a little more like a riff on Universal Soldier. I can't really remember Russell speaking a word in it, and it's possibly his only pure action flick (sci-fi element notwithstanding) outside of Tango & Cash (even in that, he was the foil). He acquits himself pretty well, but it is strictly b-movie.

Russ 66

I have a soft spot for Soldier, I can totally get a Western vibe. I know it had some ostensible Blade Runner connections (which, if you squint sideways, you could possibly see with the old/new 'models') but, for me, it feels a little more like a riff on Universal Soldier. I can't really remember Russell speaking a word in it, and it's possibly his only pure action flick (sci-fi element notwithstanding) outside of Tango & Cash (even in that, he was the foil). He acquits himself pretty well, but it is strictly b-movie.
He's been in loads of action films, what about Escape from New York, Escape From LA, and Big Trouble In Little China.
I can't believe in the last film podcast no one mentioned Enter The Dragon as one of the best action films.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
He's been in loads of action films, what about Escape from New York, Escape From LA, and Big Trouble In Little China.
I can't believe in the last film podcast no one mentioned Enter The Dragon as one of the best action films.

Yeah, I don't think I really class any of them as action films, certainly not pure action.

The Escape films come close, but Carpenter's stuff's always informed more by horror/thrills (understandably), and Big Trouble is an OTT comedy, and all the better for it.

Morden

Forgot he directed soldier, liked that too and Kurt Russell hardly says more than a few words in that film. Almost like a homage to the man with no name.

And a literal take take on arnies terminator old but not obsolete line. (Though prior to him actually saying that)

Wish it had a 4k reissue to rewatch again, maybe apple will get one.

Kotatsu Neko

I saw this when it first came out and absolutely hated it. Why does Paul Anderson (the talentless one) make video game adaptations which have barely any connection to the source material? How hard can it be? Spooky mansion, zombies, virus, slow pacing, atmospheric music. Instead it's some low budget cheesy sci-fi nonsense.

And he's still at it with Monster Hunter, a game world so full of lore and amazing designs it should have been a gift. But no, he has to insert some generic soldiers in there for reasons I imagine only he knows.

The guy is a hack, little better than Uwe Boll.

Russ 66

I saw this when it first came out and absolutely hated it. Why does Paul Anderson (the talentless one) make video game adaptations which have barely any connection to the source material? How hard can it be? Spooky mansion, zombies, virus, slow pacing, atmospheric music. Instead it's some low budget cheesy sci-fi nonsense.

And he's still at it with Monster Hunter, a game world so full of lore and amazing designs it should have been a gift. But no, he has to insert some generic soldiers in there for reasons I imagine only he knows.

The guy is a hack, little better than Uwe Boll.
Unfortunately his films make quite a bit of money from relatively small budgets.

Jessica Noir

Unfortunately his films make quite a bit of money from relatively small budgets.
Exactly! He's also a safe pair of hands, his films routinely come in under budget, ahead of schedule and preform very well in the territories such as China, where some established franchises struggle in.

dms

The first one is such a great film that it kept be going through the rest of the series even as they went from bad, to terrible, to so bad the guy I made watch the last one with me never forgave me for it!

I won't rush for this version as I recently upgraded my Bitmaster US DVD to Bluray (and wasn't blown away by it to be honest) but based on the review I clearly "need" the 4k version of this classic guilty pleasure.

Dubliner1

The entire Resident Evil 4K boxset was released in Scandinavian countries without the blurays but it's a lot cheaper if you just want the 4K discs...for example, approx £42 (discshop.se) vs. £99 (Amz)

Morden

Just checked and i have a few in 4k already, forgot i got some discounted precovid when I last visited HMV shop in Glasgow.

I have already have Afterlife and Final chapter, think I was £6.99 for each one.

So just have to get 1, Apocalypse, Extinction and Retribution on 4k. (Though may work out cheaper with the box set)

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+