Resident Evil 4 - PS5 - 24th March 2023

Got this for Christmas, and I'm enjoying Leon's Spanish adventure all over again. I am only at chapter 8, but it is already pretty clear that the devs made some sensible gameplay changes, while also keeping in a few of the more frustrating parts. I also think this is the first playthrough where I've ever found ammo to be scarce. Whether that is due to rebalancing or me being rusty, I am not sure. :D

The first Garrador encounter is a personal highlight so far, and I am really looking forward to some of the upcoming monsters and set pieces. This should be really fun to try out in VR mode, when I'm done. :clap:

Just completed this - thought it was really good :smashin:

I have played the PS2 version way back (2005?) but the game has been scrubbed up to look really good on the PS5. The combat is really smooth and fun (designers of Alan Wake take note!) plus it strikes a great balance with weapon types. I love the rocket launcher - as someone who hates boss fights, the 'one click' to defeat the boss is great!

Going to give the Separate Ways DLC a go - thereafter are any of the other remakes in a similar vein/quality? I have heard good things about Resident Evil 2 - is it worth getting?

Just completed this - thought it was really good :smashin:

I have played the PS2 version way back (2005?) but the game has been scrubbed up to look really good on the PS5. The combat is really smooth and fun (designers of Alan Wake take note!) plus it strikes a great balance with weapon types. I love the rocket launcher - as someone who hates boss fights, the 'one click' to defeat the boss is great!

Going to give the Separate Ways DLC a go - thereafter are any of the other remakes in a similar vein/quality? I have heard good things about Resident Evil 2 - is it worth getting?
I'd say both 2 and 3 are goods remakes and worth your time.

Is you are playing on PS then you can get both for £12.49 which is a steal! Although looks like that deal ends tonight at midnight

Just completed the Separate Ways DLC - IMHO it was good addition :thumbsup:

Took me about 5 hours but that was with checking of every corner to find things to sell so I could maintain a Rocket Launcher at all times! In total it was 7 chapters, each about half the length of a RE4 main game one. All good though - it didn't hang about getting into the action and ran parallel to the RE4 story tying together all Ada's appearances in the main game. Explained a few things not covered in the main narrative as well. A few capabilities unique to the DLC - the grappling hook and the digital eye - but in reality both were very restricted on when and how you could use them so didn't significantly change the play style. Ultimately, for those that enjoyed RE4, you will probably like the DLC.

I don't remember this particular element of the story from the original game (although could have forgetten) - was this DLC story new and unique to the remake?

Just completed the Separate Ways DLC - IMHO it was good addition :thumbsup:

Took me about 5 hours but that was with checking of every corner to find things to sell so I could maintain a Rocket Launcher at all times! In total it was 7 chapters, each about half the length of a RE4 main game one. All good though - it didn't hang about getting into the action and ran parallel to the RE4 story tying together all Ada's appearances in the main game. Explained a few things not covered in the main narrative as well. A few capabilities unique to the DLC - the grappling hook and the digital eye - but in reality both were very restricted on when and how you could use them so didn't significantly change the play style. Ultimately, for those that enjoyed RE4, you will probably like the DLC.

I don't remember this particular element of the story from the original game (although could have forgetten) - was this DLC story new and unique to the remake?

No it's not new DLC, it was available for the original game as well. IIRC it was included in the PS2 version of the game but had to be bought separately for the GameCube version, which was the first console to get the main game. Here's an old vs new comparison.

This is a superb game. Played the main game at standard level on VR, and then hardcore non VR. Followed that up with the sperate ways DLC on hardcore level, and now I am addicted to mercenaries.

I rarely play games twice, but this is so enjoyable and addictive with all of the potential upgrades. Definitely value for money!

Completed this a week or two back and loved it all over again.

Overall, I think they've done a fantastic job of staying true to the original while still making improvements to the gameplay (no more QTE!!!) and adding/changing a few enemies. I especially liked the Garrador encounters and the
regeneradors -I proper jumped the first time one of them morphed into an iron maiden! I really like that change - previously they were just slightly different versions from the start, but now they add a second stage and a different challenge.
. They've also massively improved the
Ashley
segment and the relationship between Leon and Ashley is much more fitting.

One thing that seemed different to me in the remake was the ammo balancing - I played through on Hardcore, and until I started abusing the
crossbow
, I was pretty much constantly low on ammo. I don't remember ammo ever being much of an issue in the original, but it certainly made some fights more tense, when I ran out of a certain ammo type. Also, certain boss fights were as annoying as ever - god bless the
rocket launcher!

I am going to leave this for a little bit and then play it through again before trying the VR mode. Absolutely stonking value for money.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom