Resident Evil 4 - PS5 - 24th March 2023

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Resident Evil 4, with a release date of March 24, 2023 for the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series and PC

I've been wanting to replay this but I remember the controls being quite clunky. Will be great to play again with updated graphics and a proper third person camera.

I originally played this on GameCube of all things.

It was a great game and I’m sure the graphics will be boosted tremendously for this version but is it a remaster or total remake à la Demon‘s Souls?

I remember the controls being quite clunky
You’re probably right but, oddly enough, it sticks with me as being the opposite. It was the first RE game with multidirectional controls rather than the old rotate left/right and forward so it seemed like a total breath of fresh air at the time.

You’re probably right but, oddly enough, it sticks with me as being the opposite. It was the first RE game with multidirectional controls rather than the old rotate left/right and forward so it seemed like a total breath of fresh air at the time.
Yeah that's true, was completely different to the others when it first released.

There's been a HD update released earlier this year for PC that a modder has been working on for a while, I was going to replay with that but will just wait until next year now and see what updates this version gets.

Can replay the other games between now and then.

I really enjoyed this one, but can't remember large chunks of it. So would like to have another look.

I originally played this on GameCube of all things.

It was a great game and I’m sure the graphics will be boosted tremendously for this version but is it a remaster or total remake à la Demon‘s Souls?
It’s a total remake as per Resident Evil 2 & Resident Evil 3 remakes.

They'd better not mess this one up. The original is one of my all-time faves, and I completed it on GC, PS2, Wii and PS3 several times over.
It looks pretty so far, although the change in colour palette appears to give it a less distinctive look. It also looks like they are changing a few of the story elements, and adding a few bits with Ashley at the start. It is also worth noting that since there won't be any previous gen versions of this (at least none have been announced so far), they can hopefully get the most out of this gen's consoles.

Luis and Ada are still there, as are Mendez and Saddler, and no doubt Krauser will be there too, but what about Salazar? He was the most flamboyant of all the characters, so I wonder if they've cut or changed him to fit what looks like a distinctly less camp-y tone.

Regardless, I can't wait.

Still won't beat the Wii version 😄

Oh my. PS5 graphics with a Wii controller and nunchuck... that'd be the dream.

Well, it certainly does look like it has a different tone to the original. Looks like they toned down the camp, and upped the silly, for starters...

Also, actual sneaking? This should be interesting.

I’ve pre ordered this, can’t wait for it.

"Special demo" coming soon it says on the latest trailer. Ooh, wonder what that will be? Well a demo obviously, but the special part I mean.

I'll give the demo a go when I get chance.

Don’t know if it’s just me, but compared to more recent third person action games this feels......clunky? Certainly wasn’t as blown away as I was hoping...

Control wise it’s better than the Callisto Protocol at least! Have to say after playing the demo the atmosphere is great but graphically I thought it was pretty underwhelming, it feels like a 1080p game at 60fps on the PS5.

You lot are not filling me with confidence lol.
Decided to skip the demo myself and just wait for the full game. Original resi 4 is one of my fave games so hopefully the atmosphere will be on par.

The demo is just the opening section of the game, around 15-20 minutes long if you've played any version of the original and know what you're doing. It ends when the bells start ringing and the villagers stop attacking. Graphically it's on a par with Resi VII and Village I'd say, which is hardly a surprise as they all use the same engine. It looks fine if not a stunner.

The demo also has a secret ultra hard difficulty called Mad Chainsaw Mode that only unlocks after an unspecified number of playthroughs and is also exclusive to the demo, it wont be in the retail game. I've only played it once so haven't experienced it myself but enemies are faster, tougher and chainsaw guy has a flaming chainsaw apparently. There are no checkpoints or continues either, and you can't select it from the main menu once unlocked. You have to keep playing and wait for the option to randomly spawn again.

Last edited:
The demo is just the opening section of the game, around 15-20 minutes long if you've played any version of the original and know what you're doing. It ends when the bells start ringing and the villagers stop attacking. Graphically it's on a par with Resi VII and Village I'd say, which is hardly a surprise as they all use the same engine. It looks fine if not a stunner.

The demo also has a secret ultra hard difficulty called Mad Chainsaw Mode that only unlocks after an unspecified number of playthroughs and is also exclusive to the demo, it wont be in the retail game. I've only played it once so haven't experienced it myself but enemies are faster, tougher and chainsaw guy has a flaming chainsaw apparently. There are no checkpoints or continues either, and you can't select it from the main menu once unlocked. You have to keep playing and wait for the option to randomly spawn again.
I had no idea about that - reinstalling... 😄

I liked the demo, it lived up to my expectations just fine, considering what a short part of the game it covers. Did a sneak kill for the first time on that busy old lady to the left in the village - she always used to turn around as soon as you approached. The ganados are actually pretty terrifying - and is it me, or are there more of them, when it all kicks off in the village?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom