Resident Evil 4 - discussion thread & opinion poll

How do you rate Resident Evil 4? (vote only after playing)

• Total voters
Looks like Leon's playing a game of Wii Sports Baseball!

Although I'm looking forward to giving Resi4 a revisit with the updated Wii control scheme, it seems a shame they couldn't give at least a slight polish up to the graphics.

Would have been the nice opportunity to show what the Wii is capable of, seeing as Resi4 was arguably one of the best looking games on the Cube a bit of a graphical brush-up for the Wii would have made the game look amazing. As it is though the graphics are completely unchanged from the Cube version, all be it in true 16:9 widescreen and progressive scan(I had the NTSC version on the Cube so had that anyway).

Still should be a fantastic experience though aiming with the remote instead of one of the sticks, hope it keeps getting nice positive review scores.

Although I'm looking forward to giving Resi4 a revisit with the updated Wii control scheme, it seems a shame they couldn't give at least a slight polish up to the graphics.

Would have been the nice opportunity to show what the Wii is capable of, seeing as Resi4 was arguably one of the best looking games on the Cube a bit of a graphical brush-up for the Wii would have made the game look amazing. As it is though the graphics are completely unchanged from the Cube version, all be it in true 16:9 widescreen and progressive scan(I had the NTSC version on the Cube so had that anyway).

Still should be a fantastic experience though aiming with the remote instead of one of the sticks, hope it keeps getting nice positive review scores.

As much as I am looking forward to getting this game, I have to agree with what you are saying. It comes across as being a little lazy...but on the other side at least we are getting progressive scan (...well hopefully) and it will be true widescreen! :)

P.S. And completely off subject, Mercury meltdown came out for the wii today and it is absolutely terrific!

Wont having it in proper widescreen make the graphics look better than before anyway?

Wont having it in proper widescreen make the graphics look better than before anyway?

Yes but it's still somewhat of a missed opportyunity. They have the base of an already good looking game upon which they could have built.

Yes but it's still somewhat of a missed opportyunity. They have the base of an already good looking game upon which they could have built.

Exactly, what better way to quieten the critics than to make the best looking Gamecube titles look better sill on the Wii.

People are always commenting that the Wii isn't capable of better graphics than the Gamecube so would be nice to have a shining example that comment isn't correct.

Ah well, it'll come, for now I'll just have to look forward to Resi4 as it is, looking forward to it I am too:cool:

Is the Wii capable of better graphics than the Gamecube on paper, it was my understanding the Wii GPU was pretty much the same as the Gamecube in terms of performance?

Is the Wii capable of better graphics than the Gamecube on paper, it was my understanding the Wii GPU was pretty much the same as the Gamecube in terms of performance?

As i understand it the Wii is supposed to be more akin to an Xbox for performance and given how good some of the latter Xbox games looked (Riddick,KOTOR etc) then you'd assume Wii titles will start to look even better.

No it's more powerful then the Gamecube but not by much. As mabo said it's similar to the original Xbox possibly a bit more powerful then that. At the very least the best Wii games should look as good as the best Xbox games. I think we will see that and it's only a matter of time. I do suspect as was the case for the Gamecube in general with a few exceptions first party games will always look better then third party ones. I think the only companies capable of matching Nintendo are the Japanese ones like Capcom, Konami and Squeenix. I doubt western developers are going to be able to push as much out of the Wii.

I do suspect as was the case for the Gamecube in general with a few exceptions first party games will always look better then third party ones. I think the only companies capable of matching Nintendo are the Japanese ones like Capcom, Konami and Squeenix. I doubt western developers are going to be able to push as much out of the Wii.

To be fair, there weren't many high profile Western developers making much for the Gamecube. I think given the large (and still growing) user base of the Wii we'll see far more with increasingly better results.

Though i do agree that the best titles will almost certainly be first party ones, but i wouldn't really expect any less from Nintendo no matter which platform they were developing for.

IMO anyone who expects the wii to far outstrip what the GC could do will end up very disappointed.

No-one is going to get a wii expecting anything much in the graphical department.

A lot of developers will be simply porting PS2 games to the wii and won't be tarting their games up at all.

I'm more concerned about seeing some games that make decent use of the control system.

To date Kororinpa is the only games in which the wii control method is pivotal.

Striker's use of shaking the wiimote for a tackle and the point and click of saving superstrikes is fine, but doesn't add anything you couldn't do on a traditional controller really.

My mate's got a Wii (mainly for his daughter), when he got it he was under the impression that the Wii isn't capable of proper videogames like racers and adventure games. For some reason the majority of gamers think the Wii can only handle Wii Sports and Wii Play. What gets forgotten is that the GC was a highly competent machine which featured some lovely looking games (Metroid Prime anyone?) and that the Wii is meant to be more powerful than that.

There are some games on the Wii which are graphically impressive, Sonic and The Secret Rings is a good looking title. But I agree that there is much more to come from the machine.

IMO anyone who expects the wii to far outstrip what the GC could do will end up very disappointed.

No-one is going to get a wii expecting anything much in the graphical department.

A lot of developers will be simply porting PS2 games to the wii and won't be tarting their games up at all.

I'm more concerned about seeing some games that make decent use of the control system.

To date Kororinpa is the only games in which the wii control method is pivotal.

Striker's use of shaking the wiimote for a tackle and the point and click of saving superstrikes is fine, but doesn't add anything you couldn't do on a traditional controller really.

I doubt many are buying a Wii expecting it to far outstrip the Gamecube for graphical prowess. From the looks of it many of them won't have owned one of the previous generation of consoles.

As for the porting of PS2 games, well i would've thought we'd have heard of something by now about some in development. The only one i've heard mooted is Okami which seems almost custom made for the Wii.

I think the fact that not many games so far make innovative use of the controls shows how little faith most developers had in the Wii prior to launch. Then take into account that no games have a one year turnaround from conception to shelf so i'd say we may be waiting a little while for them to start pouring in. But i remember the same situation with the DS.

I think the fact that not many games so far make innovative use of the controls shows how little faith most developers had in the Wii prior to launch. Then take into account that no games have a one year turnaround from conception to shelf so i'd say we may be waiting a little while for them to start pouring in. But i remember the same situation with the DS.

We have seen a huge surge in developers and publishers annoucning titles for the Wii recently, I think the success of the console genuinely took the industry by surprise. It will be a year or so before these titles announced reach store shelves.

As for the porting of PS2 games, well i would've thought we'd have heard of something by now about some in development. The only one i've heard mooted is Okami which seems almost custom made for the Wii.

I haven't heard that rumour, is it likley that Capcom will be bringing Okami to Wii then? If so then that's great news, and I agree about it being custom made for the Wii's control system.

At the end of the day, you don't buy the Wii for it's graphical capabilities. It is a fair bit more powerful than the Gamecube though and as time goes on we should see better and better looking games.

The specs are :-

CPU/GPU:
GameCube: Gekko/Flipper 485/162MHz
Wii: Broadway/Hollywood 729/243MHz

Memory
GameCube: 24MB 1T-SRAM (main), 16MB DRAM (aux) 3MB (video)
Wii: 24MB 1T-SRAM (main), 64MB DRAM (aux) 3MB (video)

The processor is faster and more advanced and the Wii also has a fair bit more DRAM. It's not light years more advanced but it is a fair bit better.

Games are about gameplay and IMO if you are going to compare the wii graphically to anything it will be the x360 and ps3 as they are the same generation.

Obviously the wii isn't even on the same planet graphically, so just enjoy the games for what they are! :thumbsup:

This whole debate seems to have stemmed from my original comment below.

I wasn't moaning or stating my high expectations for the console, I just felt that a slight graphical makeover could have made this already great looking game into a showcase title for the console.

Anyway, best get back to the topic of the thread now please as the debate over the true power of the Wii is for another thread really.

Yeah Tetlee you troublemaker! ;)

Back on topic then, i've also preordered RE4 from Gameplay £24.99. Seems to be the cheapest around that I can find.

I did have it on GC but to be honest it's one of those games I never gave the time it deserved, so only saw a fraction of it. I'll put that right this time round methinks! :thumbsup:

Yeah Tetlee you troublemaker! ;)

Back on topic then, i've also preordered RE4 from Gameplay £24.99. Seems to be the cheapest around that I can find.

I did have it on GC but to be honest it's one of those games I never gave the time it deserved, so only saw a fraction of it. I'll put that right this time round methinks! :thumbsup:

£22.99 from Shopto.net or £23.99 from dvd.co.uk

Will they be Asian versions though as some places won't take them in part ex when you're done with them?

I've pre-ordered from Amazon - £24.98 with free delivery. I haven't been able to find out what Asda will be charging, as they're one of the cheapest shops for Wii games.

Will they be Asian versions though as some places won't take them in part ex when you're done with them?

The Wii uses region coding so how could they possibly be anything other than PAL releases?

The Wii uses region coding so how could they possibly be anything other than PAL releases?

I didn't know whether they would be like the Asian versions of certain 360 games (GOW) that are cheap from PLayAsia. There were apparently also certain European versions of GC games that weren't UK stock doing the rounds and you can never be too sure as to whether shops will accept them in part ex.

I didn't know whether they would be like the Asian versions of certain 360 games (GOW) that are cheap from PLayAsia. There were apparently also certain European versions of GC games that weren't UK stock doing the rounds and you can never be too sure as to whether shops will accept them in part ex.

A lot of 360 games are region free though, that's why there is a market for cheaper Asian versions. Wii games are all region locked so regular retail shops are only going to sell versions officially released in that country.

A lot of 360 games are region free though, that's why there is a market for cheaper Asian versions. Wii games are all region locked so regular retail shops are only going to sell versions officially released in that country.

Thanks for the clarification. :smashin: Only owning one Wii game (Zelda) i must admit i've not really paid that much attention to the ins and outs of it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom