Resident evil 4: Any difference between PS2 and Gamecube version

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by big-al-42, Mar 28, 2006.

1. big-al-42

big-al-42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm close to finishing resi 4 on the PS2 and i'm finding it pretty good. I have a Gamecube aswell and was wandering if it would be worth buying it for the Cube because i have heard it's very good. Has anyone out there played both? and if so is there much difference? cheers

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    This link should clear up some answers.

3. hpoom

hpoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    That link is cool, I will show that to some of my mates.

That was what I was going to say, the biggest difference will be graphics. The gamecube graphics are A LOT better then the PS2 on nearly every game. I'm just glad I now have a link to show some of my mates to prove a long standing debate I have been having with them for years!

The main thing to remember if you have both a PS2 and a Gamecube and a game is avaiable on both, buy the cube version as it will look beter!

4. big-al-42

big-al-42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that, you can obviosly see the difference with the graphics but if the game play is the same i probably won't bother buying it.

5. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    OMG I cant believe the differences were that vast the 'Cube version looks infanitely better than the PS2 one.

Glad I got the US version when it was first released. Love that game.

Thanks for the link it made very interesting reading :smashin:

6. KILLER NADS

KILLER NADS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    the main difference was that the PS2 version has a bunch of extra features with the game!!

For example an extra 5 hours of gameplay including a story and cutscenes!

Yes the graphics on the GC version are much better then the PS2 ive got both and know that the PS2 graphics are much below the GC ones even though in the reviews they didnt say this! Nearly all reviews claimed that the graphics were nearly the same but i think its not true at all!

Its quite a difficult choice to choose just one version in my view! You can either go with the Graphics or choose to have the extra story and gameplay plus the weapons and outfits! Its a difficult choice because the graphics would push to play the GC version more and complete that one! But i guess one advantage is if u havnt played the GC one, then the PS2 one will play and feel better for you.

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Yep, there is definitley a noticeable difference in the graphics, but I bought the PS2 version (mainly because it was cheaper!)

8. markmitt

markmitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Having owned and completed the 'Cube version and extensively played the PS2 version, I can honestly say there is very little difference between the two graphically. Negligable difference in fact. Some of the textures appear to be weaker in places in the PS2 version, and the anti-aliasing isn't as good, but overall nearly identical. Add in the fact that it was written specifically for 'Cube so it uses the hardware to best effect, and "merely" ported across to PS2 so that Capcpm could bolster sales. Also, the PAL PS2 version supports true 16:9 and Progressive scan, plus all the other features, and overall I feel the PS2 version to be the better purchase.

Saying that though, whichever version you buy, it is a bloody good game and stunning graphics either way.

9. markmitt

markmitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Looking at that link, it's easy to see the difference. Never really noticed it before when playing though. Still not a huge difference though, and you probably wouldn't notice it unless running side by side.

Oh well. If you want better visuals, go for the 'Cube version. Or the PS2 version for the more complete package. or go for both like me. :D

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    The difference is quite stark when comparing those pics. However, like you said, it's a great game and if you didn't see those GC pics you'd still think the graphics looked fabulous anyway!

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Crikey the PS2 version looks pretty bad compared to the GC version. I must say, I bagged this from the US when it first came out on the GC and it was a superb game (although I never did finish it before flogging my GC to my Bro).

12. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    We were playing Resi4(Cube version) last night on the PJ, in beautiful progresive scan, a sight to behold. Great thing was we had a storm rumbling away in the backround which added nicely to the atmosphere:eek:

Most of our console stuff(360,PS2,Cube etc.) is still stuck in a customs dispute here and although we have the consoles, we don't have the power packs. Went out and bought a new power cable for the PJ & the Gamecube yesterday, along with a new amplifier. At last we can at least play games on the cube, time to start Resi4 again from fresh as we don't have the old mem cards either, ah well, when a games this good you can't complain:D

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Still haven't got round to playing RE4, my sis has taken my PS2 which means some AAA titles are just gathering dust (Guitar Hero; Shadow of the Colussus, God of War etc) Glad you're getting at least some gaming action Tetlee! :)

14. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Thanks:) Infact there is a positive side to having to wait for the 360 & PS2 power packs etc. Gives me a chance to play some of the Gamecube titles I'd been neglecting with all the novelty of having a new console, was playing Fire Emblem last night, great game! Also got right back into Burnout2, classic arcade racing, pure fun:D

Now I wish it'd hurry up & get dark, want to crack on with Resi4, speaking of which, now I've hooked the Cube up to the amp, I'm experiencing Resi4 with Pro Logic II surround for the first time, fantastic stuff!

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I sometimes wish I could go back to one console and have just 3 games in total to focus on. Ever since I've been able to afford all the consoles and loads of games I have just too much choice... :rolleyes:

16. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Yeah, I know what you mean, long gone are the days of having one console and playing all my games to completion before buying new ones.

Back to Resi4, amazing how many extra tricks I learned from starting again. As an example, after defeating that lake monster last night I kept shooting the big fishies, then popping out to recover them in the boat before selling them to the merchant bloke. Also finding loads more items this time around, is there any reason to keep those little emeralds that you keep coming arcoss in cave/tunnel ceilings etc. BTW, or should I just sell them now(think I have 12 so far)? Don't want to sell them only to discover they fit into something that can add to the value(like with some of the other jewels).

Just about to meet that massive troll again:eek:

17. big-al-42

big-al-42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I completed the game last week and really enjoyed it, but i thought the final boss was a little easy compared to some of the earlier bosses. I did it first time were as the one with the general bloke ( i can't remember his name) when you are timed took me about 2 hours to do. I thought the ending was great aswell when you had to get through the tunnel on a jet ski in a certain amount of time, usually you finish the main boss and thats the end, all in all i would give it a solid 9/10.