1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

resetting lamp usage hours (Sharp)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by desibeo, Nov 13, 2002.

1. desibeo

desibeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Sharp XVZ1E lcd projector. I want to replace the lamp.

A friend of mine who deals in lights & stuff is fairly confident he could fit the bulb without problem (using sterile gloves), but my main concern is being able to reset the lamp usage hours.

Sharp don't seem over-anxious to let people know how to do this. Can anyone here help?

Returning the unit to Sharp UK is fairly impractical in my case as I'm in Ireland.

I've found wildly-varying prices for the lamp too. Any help or advice to do with any of this much appreciated.

-Kevin.

2. desibeo

desibeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry for replying to my own thread, but *any* help at all on this would be much appreciated.
    Theres no way I can justify a ~1000euros to change a lamp.

(I know I won't be buying another Sharp product again if I can't get this information from some place.)

-Kevin.

3. Vis Man

Vis Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok Kevin

Try this

With the projector running hold the right cursor key, down cursor and the enter button down switch the mains power off. Still holding these buttons down power the projector back on. it will take a few secounds for the lamp to light up. When it does you should see lamp hours 0000. Changeing the lamp is easy but make sure you connect the two cables properly or you will ruin the bulb.

4. desibeo

desibeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Vis Man,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried it & also various combinations, but it doesn't work. Can you tell me is this combo for the XVZ1E or another Sharp lcd?
    I'm using the buttons on the proj itself (not the remote).
    It does take a few seconds to come back on. I'm sure its on the right track.
    I'm really getting desperate for this now. :(

Any other suggestions?

-Kevin.

5. Vis Man

Vis Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

It works on most of the Sharp projectors. Ive done it on the XGNV1E which is like yours but used for Data. Are you shutting the power off from the mains (not the off button). This combination also works when the projector has gone over the lamp hours and shuts it self down do this to power backup which sets the counter to 0 make sure your holding the three buttons down until you see 0000 it took me a few attempts to reset

6. desibeo

desibeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again Vis Man,

I've now redone this about 50 times. It definitely doesn't work :(

I definitely have right, down and enter fully-depressed. I switch off at the mains (not the 'soft' on/off button).
    I switch back on (tried it quick and slow). I wait around 20 seconds for it to come back on. When it does come back -nothing. I've tried waiting another 20 seconds or so with the same keys pressed, but still nothing.

Methinks Sharp changed the combination with this projector. ...Maybe theres a 'hard' button in where the lens is? I'd have to remove the lens to find out & I don't wanna do that if poss.

Thanks again though. Any other suggestions much appreciated.

-Kevin.

7. frunk

frunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hold Vol DOWN, Adjust DOWN
    Then switch on using the mains switch.

8. desibeo

desibeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    WOO HOO! Excellent!

It works. ...On the day that my new SONY HS10 is arriving too!

Thanks a lot frunk. I can sell the XVZ1E with confidence now once I change the bulb. :)

All offers considered.

-Kevin.

9. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going by the thread, is it somehow more difficult to change the bulb in this PJ? Do you not just unscrew/unclip a bulb replacement door and pop in a new bulb/bulb unit:confused:

I'd like to know has I'm thinking of buying one of these PJ's and don't fancy the idea of having to strip the thing down to change the bulb when the time comes.

10. desibeo

desibeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't done it (yet), but it won't be that difficult. You don't need to 'strip it down'. The lamp is accessible from underneath.
    How much are you going to pay for one?

-Kevin.

11. frunk

frunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Replacing the bulb is VERY easy...

You have 2 choices.. buy a new lamp module which is:

- undo 1 screw on cover
    - undo 2 securing screw
    - Yank out old module with a good tug on the supplied handle
    - Shove in new module with a hearty push
    - replace to screws and cover
    - do the "reset lamp usage" twiddle (above)

Sorted!

The other option save you about £100 UK if you just buy the bulb/mirror arrangement. This requires the careful use of gloves and the like to avoid touching any of the surfaces. Clean & delicate work, but not difficult.

I also found this is a good time to replace that filter (which you should have been cleaning out every 100 hours or so anyway" :)

Also give the thing a good hoover to clear out junk. If you can also get hold of an "air duster" its also a good time to maybe remove the case (loads of screws) and give the mirror/prism/display array a good blast to clear off dust. Also a good clear around the vents and back of the lens helps loads.

I did this after 3000 hours of use and it worked like a new projector... its amazing how much crap builds up and slowly screws up the image over the years. I think anyone who reports this projector being "poor" has not cleaned it recently. The only critisism I would have is the fact it is so noisy compared to the newer projectors.

My XV-Z1E has now given me 5 years of excellent service and is on its 3rd lamp. I had a fan start to die on me which I replaced... if you are happy taking complex machinary apart (laptops and the like) this is not too bad... just remember where the wires go! Its pretty robust inside and its difficult to seriously break anything.

I got the lamp reset infomation from Sharp... you just ring them and they refer you on to TPC which seem to have a nice man who just KNOWS all this information off the top of his head.

Next you will be wanting to know where to get the cheapest lamps :) Well save up as I have not found them any cheaper that £300 UK.

Hope this helps,

Frunk

12. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thks for all the info:);)