• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Resetting iPhone as a new device for Family Member.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
Good morning AV Forums faithful.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place - mods, please move if so.

I'm getting the IP4 (touch wood...) on Thursday and then will restore from a backup so I get all my info/apps onto the new phone.

Now this leaves me with my 3G. I want to give it to my younger sister so obviously I'm gonna have to wipe it before hand. Now I've read the stuff on the Apple site and it seems fairly straight forward but I'm a little confused as to what the deal is with itunes. Do I re-attach my 3G to itunes once I've updated the IP4 and then set it up as new or just go through the iphone settings and erase all content and settings without syncing to itunes?

Any guidance from anyone that has done this before would be appreciated.

Thanks.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
Just a quick bump as I'm seeing my sister today.

Thanks.

hot-fuzz

Banned
It is straight forward.

Plug your iPhone 4 into iTunes and restore with your latest backup.
Then restore the 3G as a new iphone, again in itunes.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
It is straight forward.

Plug your iPhone 4 into iTunes and restore with your latest backup.
Then restore the 3G as a new iphone, again in itunes.

Does the restore apply now that I've actually got the IP4? Or is it a case of merely backing up what I have on the IP4 now and then setting up the 3G as new?

Sorry if I'm sounding dim, but I don't want to lose all of my stuff if I set it up this 3G as new.

hot-fuzz

Banned
Does the restore apply now that I've actually got the IP4? Or is it a case of merely backing up what I have on the IP4 now and then setting up the 3G as new?

Sorry if I'm sounding dim, but I don't want to lose all of my stuff if I set it up this 3G as new.

The restore will put everything on thst you backed up regardless of what iphone you have.

I backed up my 3g and then restored it to my iphone 4 and everything wad the same, settings and all, just didnt save calls, texts etc.

Now if the missus wants her own settings she can plug hers in and restore as a new iphone without using my backed up data.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom