Reset mac address text 'wifi' to 2121

AV Happy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have recently upgraded my iphone and it will no longer connect to Cloud free wifi saying i can only register one device. I have contacted O2 who say i have to text 'wifi' to 2121 to reset the mac address.
My question is will it actually change the mac address of my iphone or will it register the new mac address with Cloud?? I have mac filtering on my home and work routers and dont want to start to mess about with new mac addresses if i dont have to.

Thank you

No, it cant change the iPhones MAC address.

It must be to register a new one with the cloud for when you change phones.

I've done this a few times each time I've had a replacement handset.

What's bothering me now is when logging on to some BT openzones, it is not letting me in for free despite asking me to input who my service provider is. When I select O2 it invites me to pay. I've mentioned this to O2 on several occasions, but the customer service representatives seem a little too far removed from the problem to understand what I am asking them.

I've done this a few times each time I've had a replacement handset.

What's bothering me now is when logging on to some BT openzones, it is not letting me in for free despite asking me to input who my service provider is. When I select O2 it invites me to pay. I've mentioned this to O2 on several occasions, but the customer service representatives seem a little too far removed from the problem to understand what I am asking them.

I have this problem too..... I just gave up trying.

Are you sure they are bt openzone hotspots (free with o2) and not btfon hotspots (not free with o2), annoyingly they are often named bt openzone, even tho there is a difference.

This text just removes any IMEI registration against your mobile number. When you next connect, sign in with your mobile number and use either of The Cloud or BTOpenzone it will re-register your mobile number, but with your current IMEI against it.

No, it cant change the iPhones MAC address.

It must be to register a new one with the cloud for when you change phones.

Thank you,

Job done and still connected to my home network :thumbsup:

Are you sure they are bt openzone hotspots (free with o2) and not btfon hotspots (not free with o2), annoyingly they are often named bt openzone, even tho there is a difference.

All I know is that the website asking me to select which network I am on is branded BTOpenzone.

All I know is that the website asking me to select which network I am on is branded BTOpenzone.

Whereabouts is this? If it's in a Starbucks, hotel or somewhere like this you have a problem. If it's near somebodies home, a small business and if you also see WiFi signals for 'BTFON' at exactly the same place, you're a victim of the BTOpenzone confusion that dwhite refers to.

Most annoying of all is the iPhone just see's BTOpenzone and just connects automatically to those you don't have access to :mad:

I.ll look out for the BTFon hotelier but am pretty sure the last time I checked it, I was in star bucks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom