1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reservoir Dogs Special Edition R4

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by James45, Feb 20, 2003.

1. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the new R4 Reservoir Dogs Special Edition the other day and have had a quick look at the first ten minutes or so. I'm trying to work out if this is any improvement over the recent R1 (which was extremely washed out) and closer to R2, How heavily saturated are the colours of the original?

The R4 looks natural and is certainly very watchable but I think the skin tones, blood etc.. in the film may have been 'overly colourful' on purpose. Has anyone got the two to compare?

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the R1 SE and I returned it and bought the R2 regular release so I have seen both of these and compared them and my TV is calibrated.

The R2 was far superior to my eyes.

If you want to see if the R4 you have is the same as the R1 SE then go to some of the scenes in daylight and see if it looks 'foggy'. If so, that's the same as the R1.

Also, there is some text to divide some of the scenes which is white text on black with the names of the characters (when it cuts back to their history). On the R1, the black background actually came up as a dark, dark grey (close to black, but not quite). On the R2 it's proper black. The black level throughout the R1 SE was awful.

If the colours are washed out on the R4, that sounds the same as the R1. Blood on the R1 SE that I had looked like paint. Blood on the R2 looks more realistic.

I'm sorry to say that I personally didn't find the R1 SE very watchable, which is why I returned it for a refund.

I never had my 5.1 setup when I watched the R1 SE, so what's the new 5.1 soundtrack like? I've watched a few movies recently with 'new 5.1 mixes' but found them disappointing.

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the r4 is certainly very watchable indeed so I don't think it suffers from the same problems as the r1, although I've only had a fairly quick scan through.

couldn't tell you properly what the new sound mix is like as I'm still listening through 3.1 (to bring rectified next month!!:devil: :) ) but the r4 has dd and dts so one, if not both, are bound to be okay. Dialogue sounded fine.

You're right about new 5.1 mixes of old stereo and mono tracks being crap on the whole though... R2 anchor bay Withnail & I is a prime example.

4. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everybody be cool this is a robbery.

any of you ****ing pricks move and I'll execute every mother ****ing last one of you. :clap:

Oops wrong film. :suicide:

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found 3 reviews that both say the R4 is better quality and nothing like the R1.

http://www.dvd.net.au/review.cgi?review_id=2333

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=4&s=2&c=616

http://www.allzone4dvd.net/review_details.htm?id=302

Sounds promising but it worries me that all 3 reviewers seem to imply that they haven't actually seen the R1. I remember the original R1 reviews rating the video transfer, until lots of people from the AVS Forums emailed them to complain, when the R1 reviewers confessed to having watched the DVD on "less than appropriate equipment" :rolleyes: - so I'm wary. How would these reviewers know the R4 is better if they've never seen the R1 .......

I have found another review of the R4 that might imply the same as the R1...

http://www.region4dvd.net/review_reservoir_dogs.htm

It's a shame someone at michaeldvd.com.au hasn't posted a review yet as they're usually very detailed and more reliable than most.

However, those screen grabs they have put up on the first two sites certainly look way better than the R1 ones!! You don't have PowerDVD on your PC do you James? Couldn't do us a couple of screen grabs so I can see for myself could you? :D

Sadly the reviews do say that the 5.1 mix hardly uses the rears and the sub - so it looks like it's the usual 5.1-remixed-from-old stylee then :rolleyes:

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i do but my dvd drive is on its last region change, so you'll have to talk me through flashing the drive.:D

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought we already did,but you bottled it :laugh:

8. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: