1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reservoir Dogs SE ...... It's not looking good (literally)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=160085

Doesn't look good :( but I console myself with the fact that it will definitely look better on my CRT than a non-anamorphic zoomed-up NTSC picture with all those horrible scan lines.

Even so though, I was hoping these transfers were gonna be the dog's ******** :(

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dammit that can't be right, surely a new SE has got to be better than the old release. those pictures are horrible.

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Well, if what that post says is true, then I certainly WON'T be buying the new DVD version, unless it gets completely and utterly rectified.

The new edition looks like it is too-widescreeny, if that makes sense. That is, you can see too much image. It doesn't look right.

I did buy the R2 release, but returned that because of the lousy Stereo-only soundtrack, and the crap extras.

Anyone know if you can still get the original R1 release, or has that been long-deleted?!

Would've thought Mr T himself (Tarantino, not BA Baracas!) would have had something to say about this, bearing in mind the nature of the film and the fact he's a mad movie and DVD fan as well!

Pooch

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    As soon as the release of the SE was announced the price of the original R1 dropped like a stone in the US and Canada. It's still available and you should be able to pick it up from somewhere like DVD Boxoffice for around £7 to £9.
    I always thought the colours looked too over saturated on the original disc though personally. The R2 looked better, the R1 sounded better, but they've both been sold on now in prep for the SE. I'll judge that one when it arrives, I guess.
    Could be one of those movies where you never get the perfect version you want.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is right. The previous releases hacked off some of the original image at the sides. That's why you're not used to it. :)

I think we have to be prudent with this one. As one guy on that thread said, we don't know how the testing was undertaken. We also need to bear in mind how the screenshots were obtained and the losses in quality that can creep into the process during those stages too. Plus, bear in mind that Web images will use a Web pallette so that can screw things up as well.

If anyone's worried, best thing to do is not to pre-order and wait for the professional reviews to emerge. I pre-ordered mine from CD-WOW, so I can send it back if it's truly ****e and forfeit a £1.50 penalty. But as I said, I doubt I'd be happier with a non-anamorphic NTSC transfer (I never have been in the past).

6. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I saw this post on that forum too Sqirrel and to be honest I don`t pay to much attention to them nowadays,a lot of these guys get copys way ahead of schedule and a fair few are not finished product to say the least,then some of the reviewers literaly pick the picture to pieces on their over-projected screens,looking for that fault that isn`t there :rolleyes: when the copies are on the shelf,thats when I would consider a review to be valid,and to know how the review was conducted.

7. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this on pre-order at Play.com but cancelled it a couple of days ago when I saw that post on AVS. I think I'll wait awhile. Lets hope someone takes a bath on this one due to all the cancelled/returned orders and then perhaps we'll see a new special edition released.

Allan

8. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i'll hang on until some of the reputable dvd sites like dvdfile and dvdshrine have put it through it's paces!

9. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the current R2 Resevoir Dogs is one of the best transfers I've seen, crisp with perfect colour and great black level. This is using a Sony 900 and a calibrated 32" Tau.

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.gamenikki.com/dvd//ReservoirDogs-10thAnnive.php3

11. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Any body got a match?
    [​IMG]

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear :(

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/367/367509p1.html

Although I wonder if this is the same guy who did the reviews on the forum (that I pasted earlier). Hhhhmmmm... still gotta wonder about the equipment....

Damn it, I'm leaving mine on pre-order :devil: I won't be able to compare the two anyway - if it looks alright when it arrives then that's all that matters. Otherwise I'll return it and pay the forfeit. Wooooooooo I'm optimistic and decisive today :D

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy who originally reviewed the RD SE on the AVS Forums has since adjusted his display and says it improved the pic quite considerably. The adjust pics can be found near the bottom of this page from this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=160085&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

As you can say, he is of the view that there are some advantages to the new transfer over the original transfer with the new transfer being considerably sharper with more fine detail.

There is also discussion on some forums that the CINEMATIC release of RD was originally muddy and thus previous DVD releases have actually been artificially enhanced, which is what we have gotten used to. You could argue that that would make the RD SE release "truer" to QT's intentions. Or you could not.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I watched it last night and although the colours weren't exactly vibrant I presumed that to be the deliberate intention as the film was hardly full of colour anyway.

If you read the US thread carefully it seems to be one guy's opinion and others agreeing with him who hadn't seen the film anyway.

The new disc has a choice of remastered DD or DTS sound which seems to be a waste of disc space as there isn't a great deal of rear speaker action as the bulk of the film is dialogue based.

PS I have a 32" widescreen and people who watch on a PJ might react differently.

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

Yeah, I did read it all the way through, plus a few albeit limited reviews and you're right; hence, all the umming and aahing throughout this thread. It also occurred to me that there must be numerous other movie transfers that when compared side-by-side would demonstrate noticeable differences as well, but nobody seems to have really bothered before now. I only have a 28" widescreen, so if it's okay on yours (which I'm implying from your post), then I'm sure it will be okay on mine too. As you say, the film was never brimming in colour in the first place and I bet it's more than just watchable. :)

(Just spotted the numerous typos in my previous post btw :blush:)

16. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Good to hear the above. Still, I wasn't too bothered as such gritty films, as it were, can suit a less stellar picture.;)
    The only thing wrong with Tarantino is Tarantino -weasely little money grabbing man.

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    But he's such a brilliant actor

18. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Agreed, at playing a...

19. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I just watched my Reservoir Dogs SE and I thought the transfer was pretty bad. Black levels appeared almost random throughout the movie, as did the contrast. The outdoor scenes looked the worse - picture was overly bright and washed out. There's also a fair bit of aliasing at some points, e.g. on Mr Orange's cigarette when he's in the nightclub telling his drug anecdote. It really ruined my enjoyment of the movie. I'm gonna take up CD-WOW's "total satisfaction guarantee" now and then buy the R2 (I didn't think the 5.1 mix sounded that great anyway when downmixed to surround on my TV). I hope that Miramax and Artisan sort this out at some point in the future. :(

Edit - R2 is only £6.49 delivered at Play.com at the moment (anamorphic 2.35:1, stereo)

20. wicky1

wicky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine this morning. As said before, colours washed out, blacks are charcoal. Shame. Nice to get a bit more information top and bottom of frame though.

21. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    I'm happy enough with mine.
    Looks more like a 70's crime film (visually) now, which I've no objections to personally.

22. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my R2 Reservoir Dogs today and stuck it in the player for a quick look earlier.

The difference is shocking! The picture is so clear and colourful, with spot-on black levels!! R2 is a far superior transfer!!

It looks to be as "wide" in "widescreen" (top to bottom and left to right) as the R1 as well. I haven't checked this properly but in the opening credits with the Dogs walking beside the wall.. you can still see above the wall as in the R1 SE.

23. denonman

denonman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my MR BROWN for a couple of weeks now and i have watched it a couple of times on my TOSHIBA 46WHO8B & it looks SUPERB, Very filmlike, I have no problems with the black levels or colors (blood reds)..

24. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only way to get anything near a half-decent black level on the R1 SE is to decrease the brightness, which means your set is then not calibrated for NTSC. Even then, the picture still looks washed out.

If you check the background black when the names pop up throughout the film just before they give the background on each character (e.g. "Mr Orange"). you will see that the black background is in fact more like a charcoal grey and is much lighter than the black widescreen bars top and bottom.

Out of all of the DVDs I own, the R1 SE of Reservoir Dogs is one of the worst transfers I have ever seen, and I am honestly not exaggerating. I can understand people saying they are happy enough with it, or it doesn't look too bad to them, but "superb" is not a word I could possibly understand anyone using to describe it. I would save the word "superb" for transfers like Jackie Brown R1 SE, Monsters Inc (any region), Shrek (any region), and so on.

25. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    Has anyone actually said that though? Anywhere? (Certainly in no reviews or feedback I've read).
    I wouldn't say it was a "superb" transfer. I've only got 3 or 4 of those in my entire collection, which is a very low percentage.

26. dred

dred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Rambo John J, I think Sqirrel God was referring to this from denonman...

27. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rambo,

As Dred said, I was referring to Denonman's comment. :)

28. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    :blush:

Just testing;) (honest guv)

I wouldn't agree with him, but there you go