Promoted Research shows majority own kit they haven’t used in two years. Which camera/lens are you no longer using?

MPB

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Reaction score
Research shows the vast majority of photographers own kit they haven’t used in more than two years.

Do you have a camera or lens you no longer use? Can you tell us why you’re still holding on to it?
If you were to switch it for something else, what would you choose?

Share your thoughts in the comments.

---
MPB offers free insured doorstep pick-up and payment within two working days. To find out how much your kit is worth, get a free instant quote: mpb.com/sell-or-trade

I have a Pentax 18-55 left over from when I sold the body - but the trade in didn't want the kit lens.
It's worth £16 at MPB but I keep thinking I'll trade it against something and never get around to it.
Perhaps I should just ship it anyway, seems you get the same price for trade in or straight sale?

I'm terrible for not selling on equipment as I feel it's a waste to get much less back so it sits around doing nothing. I still have a decent range of 4/3 equipment including the 7-14mm and the 35-100mm F2 but I suspect most of that is not worth much these days with 4/3 long dead.

I'm terrible for not selling on equipment as I feel it's a waste to get much less back so it sits around doing nothing. I still have a decent range of 4/3 equipment including the 7-14mm and the 35-100mm F2 but I suspect most of that is not worth much these days with 4/3 long dead.
Even if you don't immediately intend to trade them in you could just run your items through our quote system to get a very close idea of what they're worth. People are often quite surprised at how well their kit has retained its value!

I have a Pentax 18-55 left over from when I sold the body - but the trade in didn't want the kit lens.
It's worth £16 at MPB but I keep thinking I'll trade it against something and never get around to it.
Perhaps I should just ship it anyway, seems you get the same price for trade in or straight sale?
We don't add any more to a quote if it's a part exchange, you're right—you can just turn it into cash without feeling it needs to go towards something on our site.

Well, the last 2 years has been a bit problematic for most people I imagine, due to Covid?

My camera gear has not been used much because most of the events/places I usually visit have been cancelled/closed/restricted etc. Now we have the energy cost crisis which will probably further limit people's travels etc due to fuel costs.

I can't say I haven't got anything (other than 'display' SLRs) that I don't use, although of course some lenses get far more use than others.

I would like to trade my Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 for the new Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM II but the prices I've been offered for my Tamron are too low and the Sony is still too expensive (and not in stock in most places)

My photography took a pummelling over the last 2 years. I take most pictures when I'm travelling and I've only been on one trip of any consequence since 2019 :(.
I have a big USA trip planned for the summer and I think I have my kit already.

Looking at my kit I do have a few primes and a couple of cheaper zooms which were all superseded by purchasing an f2.8 12-40mm and a 75-300mm lens.
I don't think I can bring myself to move them on though as they aren't worth very much and as soon as I sell my f1.8 45mm I know I'll find a time I want it.
If Olympus sold body I wanted to buy I might be tempted to trade some stuff :D

I can understand if you have £££ tied up in equipment that never sees the light it is probably a good idea to shift it so someone is out there taking pictures.

My photography took a pummelling over the last 2 years. I take most pictures when I'm travelling and I've only been on one trip of any consequence since 2019 :(.
I have a big USA trip planned for the summer and I think I have my kit already.

Looking at my kit I do have a few primes and a couple of cheaper zooms which were all superseded by purchasing an f2.8 12-40mm and a 75-300mm lens.
I don't think I can bring myself to move them on though as they aren't worth very much and as soon as I sell my f1.8 45mm I know I'll find a time I want it.
If Olympus sold body I wanted to buy I might be tempted to trade some stuff :D

I can understand if you have £££ tied up in equipment that never sees the light it is probably a good idea to shift it so someone is out there taking pictures.
Where are you off too? Top of my bucket list is a road trip across the US, preferably on a Harley :smashin:

Where are you off too? Top of my bucket list is a road trip across the US, preferably on a Harley :smashin:

Land in NYC - one night booked at Grand Canyon village - Fly out of LAX :)
Everything in between is still up for grabs :D
I would love to do it in a convertible Mustang, but there's 3 of us and luggage so it'll probably be a Nissan Altima :rotfl:

We had planned to do NYC - sleeper train to Chicago then drive "Route 66" (ish) to Santa Monica.
The sleeper has been abandoned because it's very expensive . We did LA to Seattle by rail a few years ago but this route doesn't sound anything like as good and doesn't have a family cabin so we'd be in 2 compartments :(

Current plan is hire a car in NYC - Niagra falls - Chicago - then R66 with a detour via Memphis to LA.

Land in NYC - one night booked at Grand Canyon village - Fly out of LAX :)
Everything in between is still up for grabs :D
I would love to do it in a convertible Mustang, but there's 3 of us and luggage so it'll probably be a Nissan Altima :rotfl:

We had planned to do NYC - sleeper train to Chicago then drive "Route 66" (ish) to Santa Monica.
The sleeper has been abandoned because it's very expensive . We did LA to Seattle by rail a few years ago but this route doesn't sound anything like as good and doesn't have a family cabin so we'd be in 2 compartments :(

Current plan is hire a car in NYC - Niagra falls - Chicago - then R66 with a detour via Memphis to LA.
Sounds pretty much my dream Holiday that. I hope you enjoy it :smashin:

I love the 4/3 system, wish it was more widely circulated, as its easy to adapt to and really cheap

Some 4/3rds lenses are still sought after by owners of the OM-D E-M1 which has phase detect focus so can use them effectively.
Don't know if the brand new OM-1 still has that compatibility.

Check out the e-group forum.

Research shows the vast majority of photographers own kit they haven’t used in more than two years.

Do you have a camera or lens you no longer use? Can you tell us why you’re still holding on to it?
If you were to switch it for something else, what would you choose?

Share your thoughts in the comments.

---
MPB offers free insured doorstep pick-up and payment within two working days. To find out how much your kit is worth, get a free instant quote: mpb.com/sell-or-trade

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to asks (mods please delete if so) but as you're now an advertiser on here do you offer and bonuses for selling equipment please? I've got some equipment to sell and have always been happy with your services to date, however your quotes this time around and considerably lower than others I've received.

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to asks (mods please delete if so) but as you're now an advertiser on here do you offer and bonuses for selling equipment please? I've got some equipment to sell and have always been happy with your services to date, however your quotes this time around and considerably lower than others I've received.
Hi, don't worry about asking—it's always worth checking! As a general rule we don't set up discounts and offers since we buy and sell used equipment and the margins on these are much lower than new products. This means the quotes we offer are already about 30% less than new or for buying are calculated tightly to be as competitive as possible. Sorry I couldn't offer what you were after but I do hope this helps explain why.

~Jamil

That’ll be me.

I’ve got a 200mm that I’ve used once in the last 18 months.
But it’s paid for; and also irreplaceable.

I can't say I haven't got anything (other than 'display' SLRs) that I don't use, although of course some lenses get far more use than others.

I would like to trade my Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 for the new Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM II but the prices I've been offered for my Tamron are too low and the Sony is still too expensive (and not in stock in most places)
Ah, a fellow Sony user. I have the Tamron and fancied a switch to the mk2 but it is so cost prohibitive at the moment and I've far too much kit anyway. Saying that, it is my job :)

Ah, a fellow Sony user. I have the Tamron and fancied a switch to the mk2 but it is so cost prohibitive at the moment and I've far too much kit anyway. Saying that, it is my job :)
If it was my job I'd be buying every lens going :laugh: I went for the GM2 in the end, got a very good price for my Tamron (not fair to mention on this particular thread where).

If it was my job I'd be buying every lens going :laugh: I went for the GM2 in the end, got a very good price for my Tamron (not fair to mention on this particular thread where).
I've got more than few in my collection :)

I don't blame you. What type of photography do you do?
Mainly weddings - mhillaryphotography.co.uk
Occasional dogs and property for a local estate agent.

Mainly weddings - mhillaryphotography.co.uk
Occasional dogs and property for a local estate agent.
Some fantastic photos on your website, clearly lots of planning and time spent on those.

You couldn’t pay me to be a wedding tog though, I tip my hat to anyone willing to take that on :smashin:

Some fantastic photos on your website, clearly lots of planning and time spent on those.

You couldn’t pay me to be a wedding tog though, I tip my hat to anyone willing to take that on :smashin:
lol - it's all I know now - 12 years in and still loving it. Thanks for the compliements

Hi, don't worry about asking—it's always worth checking! As a general rule we don't set up discounts and offers since we buy and sell used equipment and the margins on these are much lower than new products. This means the quotes we offer are already about 30% less than new or for buying are calculated tightly to be as competitive as possible. Sorry I couldn't offer what you were after but I do hope this helps explain why.

~Jamil
Can I ask where this 30% comes from ????
I had a quote for £350 for a lens that retails currently at £650 new

The latest video from AVForums

Quality vs. Convenience: How do you consume your movies & TV shows?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom