1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rescuing saved programmes on faulty PVR1

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Cool As Blu, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Cool As Blu

Cool As Blu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 18 month old SKY+ PVR1 box has decided to drive me crazy. Often, recording ends up with jumping throughout the program and skipped bits as if you were listening to a scratched CD. This happens with audio and video. At first this happened when recording 2 progs and watching one of them on a time shift, but then it happened with any recording but on a random basis and not consistently reproduceable. Ran SKy Tech support who suggested a reinstall which would involve wiping the HD. I was not keen for this as I would like to save some favourites to DVD/Video first. They then suggested a callout for £65 where the engineer would try to fix it and if not replace the box with a reconditioned box which carries a 3 month guarantee.

When the engineer came round all he wanted to do was swap boxes. I said that I wanted to keep my original box and try and get it repaired as he said all SKY would do was bin it. Not possible. He then performed a software update and said test it in 10 minutes and if no better tomorrow replace the box. He left within 5 minutes of that. By the time the system had restarted, NONE of my saved programs were watchable. Whenever I try to select them, nothing happens.

So, I have lost my progs and have a dud box. Sure they will replace the box but is there any way of taking out the HD and attaching it to my PC to try and rescue them ?

2. Cool As Blu

Cool As Blu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - found www.hummer.co.uk which explained that how to change HD's. Says that data on HD likely to be encrypted and not likely to be viewable on PC. GREAT!

Any ideas why this happened to my box ?

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Sounds like the HD is failing, not an uncommon problem with a device that is probably running very hot and spinning very fast, they fail in PC's so they fail in SKY+.
    The guy they sent out would not try to fix the SKY+, best he would do would be to check the dish/lnb and cable then reload the software, it is not economical for SKY to attempt aa repair on site. They will always look to replace the box with a refurb and take the broken one away which will be fixed then re-enter the supply chain as a refurb itself.

You say the playback probems are not constant, sometimes a recording is fine then played it again it is corrupted and live viewing is fine?
    They would indicate that the tuners supplied good data to be recorded in the first place and can on occasion be replayed correctly so that does seem to narrow it done to the HD itself. You could of course install a new HD yourself (on a test basis) to check out the system or as a start run the SKY+ with it's case open just incase the HD is not permenantly damaged but is overheating. You are I am afraid looking at losing all existing recordings if there is a porblem though since you can not get access via a PC.
    SKY+ is not a great archieving tool, I prefer to say thay it "caches" data for later playback but I too am guilty of having programs sitting on the HD for quite a while before watching and take the same risks of losing them:)

4. Cool As Blu

Cool As Blu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starburts....It looks like I might as well do a system reset.

What gets me is that I asked the engineer specifically not to delete the recordings so I could transfer them off the disk....he said fine, did a software update and buggered off!

How do you do a system reset ?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    On the remote........

Services
    Select

It will ask for confirmation then wipe the disk and reboot itself.

6. Cool As Blu

Cool As Blu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that...