1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rescueing Old 8mm videos

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by popperjoe, Feb 18, 2004.

1. popperjoe

popperjoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,
    Could someone please offer some advice regarding some old 8mm analogue videos that I want to view/edit. I filmed these tapes on a Sanyo 8mm video camera that is now in the 8mm video camera graveyard. I would like to be able to transfer the contents on to my PC with a view to: a) editing them, and b) transfering them to VCD or DVD. My first problem is that I do not currently have a device to play the tapes back on. I am considering buying a digital 8 camcorder, as I understand that this type of camera can playback the old old 8mm analogue format. Is this correct?

If this is correct, then my next question is: do I simply attach the camera to my PC via a USB port, or do I need a further adaptor or video capture card etc.? What type of software would I need? I do have Adobe Premier 6.0 which I think is a video editing package?

If I am approaching this problem in entirely the wrong way, then I would appreciate any advice that might be offered.

Regards,
    Dave

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Yes a Digital8 camcorder will play back your old analogue 8mm tapes, but not all of the cams can do this. Make sure before you buy that the model you buy will play the old tapes.
    Adobe Premiere 6 is a great & powerful editing programme, but it is far from easy to learn and use. If you have Windows XP then you also have the free MS Movie Maker. Make sure you have the latest updates from MS to MM2 and this will do all you need to get started.
    To get the footage onto your PC you will not be able to use USB. You should get yourself a firewire card (aka ieee1394, DV port or OHCI card). This should cost around £20 and will just plug into the PC in a spare slot on the mobo.

Let us know how you get on and we'll try and answer then next few questions as and when they arrive (& yes they will as NLE is a ongoing, steep learning curve).

Mark.

3. popperjoe

popperjoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Mark. As always with this type of question, one answer leads on to another question!

You say in your answer that I will not be able to use a USB connection. The camera model that I am considering buying is a Sony DCRTRV245. The specification states that it comes with a USB cable. This would seem to suggest that USB is the connection that this particular camera uses. Is your comment regarding firewire rather than USB due to the fact that firewire is technically superior to USB or is firewire the only option for the particular application that I have in mind?

Regards,
    Dave

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firewire is the only way to transfer digital video to a PC.

The USB cable supplied is for transferring still images to your PC or at best lower quality .mpg video and despite what it may say in your manual you will not get satisfactory results using USB for the transfer of moving digital video.

If you can get your hands on a copy of the April issue (out now) of "Camcorder User" magazine you will find a full article about this very question.

Sooner or later the camera manufacturers will catch up with real life and supply a firewire cable.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Ok to clarify, you can use USB to transfer video footage - but only at low quality ie webcam type quality.
    The USB cable is supplied for transfering still images from the cam and perhaps so you can use the cam as a (very expensive) webcam.
    Firewire is the only connection that can copy full quality footage between a camcorder and a PC. Even USB2.0 is unable to do this as it cannot maintain a constent transfer speed high enough for video.

Mark.